Author Topic: Lathe thoughts  (Read 3664 times)

Offline John Rudd

Lathe thoughts
« on: April 14, 2015, 02:48:45 AM »
I'm in a position to purchase another lathe..........
Im thinking large bore typically 35mm....has tumbler reverse for lh screw cutting and a decent centre to centre distance IRO 600-700mm.

Now I already have 2 lathes, a Sieg C3 (super model with brushless motor and tumbler reverse) and a Chester 9*20.

I have a couple of candidates in mind but justification is my problem.
1) Is a larger bore necessary? I haven't used material in the lathe any bigger than what I can already accommodate in both current lathes.
2) Tumbler reverse, haven't needed it for screw cutting as yet, but the C3 cold probably accommodate this....
3) C to C, the C3 is what 12-14 inches and the Chester is 20....I've not needed to turn any long lengths of bar yet.....

This is really a nice to have item but justifying the purchase of £2k's worth of lathe is hard.....I could buy lots of material and tooling ( not that there's much I need in the way of tools....)

So fella's what is your opinion ?

Mebbe if say I went for the Chester Craftsman at £2250 or the Toolco offering at £2200.....both include stand/delivery....but the Craftsman comes with a 2 axis DRO, that's the sweetener for me although it doesn't have the vfd that the Toolco unit has ( but I could do a retrofit.... :zap: )
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: Lathe thoughts
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 03:15:44 AM »
Wrong question - there is NO need to justify another machine tool if that's what you enjoy  :ddb:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 09:25:38 AM »
I'm with Andrew. But if a cast iron justification is absolutely needed, no matter what.....

Sell your other lathes first!
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline hermetic

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 12:59:47 PM »
Near Hull John? I am in Driffield, and bought my Colchester from Hull, You should be able to get a Good used British one for little more than half that!
Good luck with whatever you get, and I also agree with Andrew!
Phil
Man who says it cannot be done should not disturb man doing it! https://www.youtube.com/user/philhermetic/videos?

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 01:16:04 PM »
Phil,
I had thought of a s/h Brit lathe....or even a s/h Chinese one but the issue of logistics crossed my mind....
I thought of hiring a trailer and engine crane for lifting at both ends....but I didn't realybwant the hassle if I'm honest....
Granted I'll need a hoist to lift onto a stand, that I can deal with....
There's currently a s/h Boxford at Scunny, I considered for £2.7 k....but then there's a s/h Craftsman at Louth for £1500 with a lot if extras.....

Choices choices choices........I just don't know.... :Doh: :Doh:

But I do like John Doubleboost's new lathe, that is a beauty......drool......
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 02:02:32 PM by John Rudd »

Offline Spurry

• Norfolk, UK
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 01:57:28 PM »
John
Regarding your logistics problem, The Man with the Landrover has had good reports. The person who bought my old Warco mill used him; Landyman seemed very helpful and accommodating, ....and I understand his prices are reasonable too.
Pete

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 02:08:58 PM »
Pete,
Yup thought about Landy man.....a possibility....

I watched John DB's nightcap vid of his newly acquired lathe....

I'm currently sorting out the garage workshop, I guess by the time I'm finished and gave everything in its place and a place for everything, I might have made up my mind :scratch: