Author Topic: dead mill..  (Read 4874 times)

Offline kayzed1

dead mill..
« on: October 04, 2014, 05:24:40 AM »
Hi all, electricary type help needed.
I turned the mill on the other day after a very long setup to find the spindle turning at around 50RPM, on investigation i find a wire burned off one of the motor capacitors. the motor has two caps this is the higher rated one @ 150uf the other being 20uf..so is this the start or run cap please?
The mill is the Chester 626..and the caps have leads on them that seem to go inside the motor and looks like i will have to remove the motor to change the duff one.
thanks.  Lyn.

Offline John Rudd

Re: dead mill..
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 05:30:32 AM »
The motor is of the cap start/cap run type.... :zap:
If one has failed I'd suggest replacing both, the remaining cap is doomed for failure at some point....

The start cap is usually the larger of the two values...

Take the opportunity to check the operation of the centrifugal switch too...and condition of the contacts...
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline kayzed1

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 12:11:15 PM »
Many thanks John, that is the next job for tomorrow....i have to get the motor off with not a lot of space around the back of the mill and it's big..

Offline kayzed1

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2014, 05:15:22 PM »
great minds think alike they say, i ordered two earlier on today they should be with me on Tuesday with any luck.
Thanks again.
Lyn.

Offline Arbalist

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2014, 10:17:57 AM »
Just been putting my Warco VMC (626) mill back together again so took a pic for reference. Here it is in case it's of use to others.
Normally the back of the machine is not the easiest to get to!

Offline kayzed1

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2014, 07:21:47 PM »
Your caps are set in a nice plastic box, mine are just stuck on the outside with a bit of tin over the top...but yes, they are the same things. does it matter where the wires go as i can not see any I.D. on the contacts.

Offline Arbalist

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 02:27:23 AM »
I don't know about the Caps, I just numbered the terminals 1-4 (two don't seem to be used) along with the corresponding wires. It's up and running now so that's a relief!

Offline 12345678910

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 09:36:19 PM »
Your caps are set in a nice plastic box, mine are just stuck on the outside with a bit of tin over the top...but yes, they are the same things. does it matter where the wires go as i can not see any I.D. on the contacts.

Yes and no

DC Capacitors have a polarity and it's important to get it right or they go bang

AC ones like you have here, no polarity on AC power

Offline Arbalist

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2014, 05:01:38 AM »
Good input 1-10. I've noticed the little plus and minus symbols on the small DC ones.

lordedmond

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2014, 06:44:58 AM »
Note the voltage on a AC cap is quoted as the RMS vac and should be double the supply volts to be safe

To be padantic the peak is 1.4 times the RMS of your supply which is a RMS vac

Stuart

Offline kayzed1

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2014, 07:17:01 PM »
run Caps arrived today and fitted one, the other has gone in the mill cupboard as spare for when it next stops. Now just need the Start cap and all will be well,,,we hope.
Lyn.

Offline Arbalist

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2014, 05:50:01 AM »
Where did you get them from Lynn?