Author Topic: Twin Cylinder Steam Engine  (Read 81019 times)

bogstandard

Re: Twin Cylinder Steam Engine
« Reply #100 on: April 25, 2009, 05:33:29 AM »
Darren,

I think Stew means Titanium coated rather than gold.

DO WAIT FOR RALPH, I think he can sort your problem of the big holes very easily.

Bogs

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #101 on: April 25, 2009, 05:37:43 AM »
Thanks Guys I will wait for Ralph  :thumbup:

I was going to put this part to one side for now until I had...

a, practiced on a scrap
b, ordered a step drill or two

Be interesting to see what Ralph has in mind  :ddb: :ddb: :ddb:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #102 on: April 25, 2009, 05:13:59 PM »
Ha, found a way to do it and it leaves the neatest and most precise hole you have ever seen.... :ddb:
Well, than I have ever seen maybe....

I used the tool I pictured, stuck a 1/2" two flute milling cutter in it and bored a hole. Then advance the boring tool and made the hole bigger, only this time the cutter only used one cutting edge.

Worked a treat..
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #103 on: April 25, 2009, 05:25:28 PM »
Well that was thinking out of the box, well done pleased it worked
 :clap: :clap:  :clap:

Stew

A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #104 on: April 25, 2009, 07:13:43 PM »
Ralph came over today and we had some fun playing about with wiggly things making his garage door motors work, Oh and we talked a little bit too  :lol:

Nice to meet the ball turner in person  :wave: It was good to have some company in the same frame of mind for a change, machining mind that is.... :ddb:

Ralph left some stepped cutters behind, so after he had left I gave them a go. Pleased to say they also cut holes very neatly. I'd seen them in Aldi's but thought they were a gimmick, not so it seems. Every bit as good as the milling cutter trick I tried earlier and a bit simpler to operate as well  :dremel:

They do get a touch long at the bigger diameters though, have to bear that in mind when using a vice esp mine as it's shallow....

Thank you Ralph and good to meet you at last, welcome back anytime  :thumbup:
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 07:18:00 PM by Darren »

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #105 on: April 26, 2009, 04:17:06 AM »
Glad to have made it there and back Darren....  :thumbup:

A fun day all round, sorted out some electric string and wiggly amps stuff (TM Boggie) and it's all going to plan to get my mill under power...... Just remains for me to get the mechanics done! :)  Yep I know...  :offtopic:

Now, back to the engine....
The new design boring tool certainly does leave a perfect hole behind, more than adiquate for the job :dremel:  :clap:
And the step drills as said will probably be too long for the job.... But you'll definitly find a use for them  :headbang:

The other parts I have seen first hand for this little marvel are very nicely finished. It'll be fun to see the rest take shape :)

I tried to write this last night, but Hypnos got the better of me and that was that! So I finished writing it this morning!

Thank you for your hospitality and help Darren. It'll all help me achieve my dreams of power! :borg:   :lol:

Visiting is fun  :D

Ralph.

I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #106 on: April 27, 2009, 06:59:41 PM »
It was good to have you round Ralph,

You're nowt like wot Bogs said  :lol: :lol: :lol:

If I can help any more just ask.... :thumbup:

Back on this engine build, not a lot of progress I'm afraid, apart from working on my garage, started slating the roof  :ddb:, which is very tiring I have to say.

But these plates are taking a lot of effort for what they are, for me anyway... :smart:

For the top plate 18mm holes I did it like this, after some practicing on some scrap first of course... :dremel:

All holes where center drilled and 2mm or 3mm bored with an ordinary drill bit, then I used a stepped drill to the depth my vice would allow.

This took enough out of the center to use an off centered two flute milling slot cutter. You cant just plunge in with the cutter offset as it objects quite aggressively.
The offset was pre-calculated on a piece of scrap beforehand.

In case you missed it this was the holder used, similar to a boring head which I assume would also work just as well.

And the result, a pair of nice neat and perfectly sized holes  :)

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #107 on: April 27, 2009, 07:23:01 PM »
You're nowt like wot Bogs said     :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll bet!!  ::)

Anyhow... Glad to see this all worked   :thumbup:

Looks like we'll be seeing a lively little engine in no time?

Tiling ehh..... Now that's fun  :hammer:

:)

Ralph.

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #108 on: April 28, 2009, 01:04:51 AM »
Way to go Darren  :clap:

Like the use of a milling cutter as a boring bar, very inovative  :headbang:

I take it the second undrilled plate is for the base will you spot off the drilled plate for this so they are a matching pair.

Cheers

Stew
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 03:07:04 AM by sbwhart »

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #109 on: April 28, 2009, 02:13:14 AM »
It`s all looking good Darren!  :clap:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #110 on: April 28, 2009, 04:30:22 AM »
I made an order late yesterday afternoon for some 2.5 & 3mm screws, nut, & washers from Precision Technology Supplies Ltd

They turned up in the post this morning, bloomin good service I'd say  :thumbup:

http://www.stainlesssteelmicroscrews.co.uk/

bogstandard

« Reply #111 on: April 28, 2009, 04:41:00 AM »
That is my major bulk supplier as well Darren, and as you say, a very good service.

This is who I use for smaller quantities of those special little things.

http://www.emkaysupplies.co.uk/

John

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #112 on: April 28, 2009, 06:19:07 PM »
Thanks John, that's another in the LBB... :thumbup:

Stew, apart from the four support pillars there is nothing much else to line up small hole wise. I did spot the pillar holes though  :thumbup:
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 06:48:46 PM by Darren »

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #113 on: April 28, 2009, 06:47:32 PM »
The saga continues with spotting the four holes mentioned above later realising there was no real need as the miller was found to be more than accurate enough to get them bang on by itself.

What impressed me was the way I could tram between all the holes, and it was bang on every time. Even when going back to the first hole.
(and that involves quite a bit of tuning both wheels backwards and forwards for both center drilling and final hole drilling)

For any newcomers to milling, or lathing for that matter, always remember to turn the hand wheels the same way for every time you line them up. I always turn clockwise, so that means that if the movement demands a counter clockwise rotation I over turn by about a 1/4 turn and then come back to the marks I need in a clockwise fashion. This takes out any free play error between the lead screws and nuts.
Hope that make sense, sounds long winded  :scratch:

Now comes the time to mount the pillow blocks to the base plate with some 2.5mm screws. My screws where 16mm long and I needed 8mm. So time to shorten a few for the job.
I decided to make a holder so that I could accurately reduce the size of each one.
A piece of brass bar.

Drilled 2.1mm and threaded 2.5mm. (Threaded under lathe power John H  :thumbup:)

A piece was parted off and machined down to an exact 8mm. First time I used the lathe dials, bloomin accurate they are too, measured stub with digial calipers, read 10.1mm I dialed in 2mm and the result was 8.1mm. Dialed another 0.1mm and the end result was 8mm bang on !!  :clap: I must use the dials more often.

Or get out more  :lol:

Then off to the miller to cut a slot so when clamped in the lathe the fixture would tighten on the screw threads to prevent unscrewing when machining. Off center but no matter for this job..... :poke:

Snipped off the excess with a pair of side cutters. The scraps will be saved as you never know I may need some 2.5mm studs at some point.

Clamped up and lathed down to size

Lovely

Fixed one crank pillow block to the base plate, all holes lined up real nice. No forcing going on here  :ddb: :ddb: :ddb:

Well that's it for tonight, I will make some more short bolts tomorrow..... :)

« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 06:51:13 PM by Darren »

bogstandard

« Reply #114 on: April 28, 2009, 10:16:48 PM »
Looking very good Darren, and I am glad you are picking up tips like saving the cut off ends to use at a later date. You will need bits like those when you come to assemble the piston spools to the eccentric joints. Two jobs from one screw.

I see you are also now getting familiarised to the way your machinery is working. I always reckon it takes about six months of use to find all the little quirks of a machine, where you feel confident enough to put on a cut and trust the machine settings to give you the correct result.

Now you are starting to assemble multi parts, don't forget to some way make a tiny mark so they always go back into the same position and orientation. I use a series of very small pop marks (flatted down level after punching), and if done correctly, in a position where they are not seen on the finished assembled part. But sometimes you can't always mark them up so they won't be seen, in which case make the marks as small as possible.

Well done :clap:

John

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #115 on: April 29, 2009, 01:16:31 AM »
Going Great Darren  :clap:

You're starting to use the full range of kit and methods  :thumbup:

Stew

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #116 on: April 29, 2009, 02:37:10 AM »
Looking good there Darren  :thumbup:

I like the bolt shortening rig  :dremel:

Just two questions.....

1/  What have you used to cover the metal for layout? I know I'm colour blind to a stage but it looks black? Should have asked you last week...... But other stuff got talked about instead :)

2/ What part are you making out of that quid?  Best make sure it's not a fake first.... You don't want inferior metals going into your build  :thumbup:   

:lol:

Ralph.

bogstandard

« Reply #117 on: April 29, 2009, 04:30:36 AM »
What do you mean Ralph?

What part are you making out of that quid?  Best make sure it's not a fake first.... You don't want inferior metals going into your build     

Fake would most probably be better, 'cos a real one is worth naff all. At least a fake might be brass.

Bogs

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #118 on: April 29, 2009, 03:26:38 PM »

1/  What have you used to cover the metal for layout? I know I'm colour blind to a stage but it looks black?

Ralph.

It's some sort of industrial coating, I think it's anodising but not certain as it seems to be too black,  :scratch:

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #119 on: April 29, 2009, 06:29:15 PM »
Ralph, it was paint, I cleaned it up and there was grey primer underneath. Very hard paint though  :bang:

I shortened the other six required bolts and fitted all the pillow blocks to the base. Now was the time to ream the crankshaft holes to 5mm with them all in line. I'd previously drilled to 4.9mm so the reamer only had to kiss the rest off.
I wanted to ream them in situ but the reamer wasn't long enough to get them all in one go. So this is how I did it.

Then I removed one block and passed the reamer through

Refitted the removed block and passed the reamer through again for a final pass

Now for the real test, fitting a 5mm Silver Steel rod right through

Nice smooth fitting.. :thumbup: I stuck a battery drill on the rod and gave it a spin for a few min to bed things down a little. Worked a treat.

Next job was to machine out all the crank web clearance holes from the bed plate. All marked up ready to go.

I got halfway through and it stopped raining, so I popped out and stuck some more slates on my garage roof for a couple of hrs..... :ddb:

It got dark so I stopped and came back to finish the job on the plate. Note the scale marks on the vice, you can forget all too easily where you should be machining to  :thumbup:

I cleaned the paint and some marks off just to tidy up a little. This is by no means the finish I'm after..... :dremel:

« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 06:31:31 PM by Darren »

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #120 on: April 29, 2009, 07:38:32 PM »
Darren,

Looking very good.

(Ow look another smiley)  :nrocks: This ones for you Darren. Carry on.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #121 on: April 29, 2009, 07:41:53 PM »
Well that paint makes everything very easy to see  :thumbup:

Very nice work me thinks tonight cheif.... I like the milling on the plate, looks very neat  :dremel:

Nice trick with the reamer too, Where there's a will......

I'm quite enjoying watching the build :)

I'm going to have to get off my ass and get something made meself I suppose?  I'm feeling all left out  :(

Ralph.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #122 on: April 29, 2009, 08:20:54 PM »
Looking good Darren. Thats gonna be a nice one when you finish!

I'm going to have to get off my ass and get something made meself I suppose?  I'm feeling all left out  :(

Me too Ralph, me too.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #123 on: April 30, 2009, 02:27:36 AM »
Looking very professional Darren!  :clap:

Great minds?

Yesterday I was line drilling the sloppy main bearing holes of the Mamod triple, to re bush to 3/16".

The drill wasn`t long enough for all 4 holes......  ::)

So, I drilled a hole through a nut & bolt, and opened the final hole by hand......

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #124 on: April 30, 2009, 07:27:51 AM »
I like the use of the bolt David  :thumbup:

Nicely done there..... :dremel: