Author Topic: Side Valve i.c. engine from Bar stock  (Read 112477 times)

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: Side Valve i.c. engine from Bar stock
« Reply #200 on: October 17, 2014, 04:31:18 PM »
Still holding me breath........

David D

... and I'm holding the spray can of Easystart  :lol:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #201 on: October 17, 2014, 04:49:54 PM »
Still holding me breath........

David D

... and I'm holding the spray can of Easystart  :lol:

:thumbup: :clap: :clap:
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Brian Rupnow

« Reply #202 on: October 17, 2014, 06:45:30 PM »
Engine does have reasonable compression for a new engine that has never yet fired. I hooked it up with a v-belt to my 1800 rpm electric motor with a 1:2 ratio so it was turning at 900 rpm+/- for about 10 minutes without the sparkplug in it, to loosen it up a bit. I then put the sparkplug back in and turned the engine over with my variable speed drill. I had coated everything with oil, and as I turned it over, I seen ripples in the oil racing away from the sparkplug. Closer investigation shows that I need to machine the counterbore that the sparkplug sets in about .020" deeper to get below a cooling fin groove. That will be my first chore in the morning---Pull the head and machine the sparkplug seat a tiny bit to get a good seal at the plug. I will borrow a gas tank from one of my other engines.

Offline Brian Rupnow

« Reply #203 on: October 18, 2014, 09:56:50 AM »
It's been a GREAT morning here. I got up and borrowed the gas tank off my Odds and Ends hit and miss engine, did a little machining on the cylinder head sparkplug seat, hooked up the battery, and AWAY WE WENT!! I have lots of clean up and finessing to do, but we have a runner!!!!--Brian

« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 10:26:19 AM by dsquire »

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #204 on: October 18, 2014, 10:16:03 AM »
 :thumbup: :thumbup: Excellent Brian  :thumbup: :thumbup:

(and no sign of using ether  :ddb: )
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline DavidA

« Reply #205 on: October 18, 2014, 10:21:59 AM »
Another success story;  well done.

Dave. :thumbup:

Offline Brian Rupnow

« Reply #206 on: October 18, 2014, 10:23:16 AM »
As a matter of interest, I took my new laser aimed temperature sensing gun out to the garage after the engine had been running for 15 minutes at a mid range speed. The top of the cylinder head was 180 degrees F at the base of the cooling fins, and 150 degrees F at the tip of the fins. The exhaust pipe at 150 degrees half way down its length, but 195 degrees F right where it exits the engine.

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #207 on: October 18, 2014, 10:41:19 AM »
Nice to see that you have a runner right off this time, makes you feel so much better. I fixed the video link so that it would have the picture embedded.

Now you will have to build something fancy for it too power.  :D :D

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline Brian Rupnow

« Reply #208 on: October 18, 2014, 11:00:45 AM »
Here is a video taken from the other side of the engine, and a video in which the Chuck Fellows carburetor gets an honourable mention. The crankcase vent doesn't seem to have any effect on the way the engine runs, whether it is open or blocked.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 12:24:02 PM by dsquire »

Offline RussellT

« Reply #209 on: October 18, 2014, 01:52:21 PM »
Hi Brian

I've been following this all the way through and I've been very impressed by your whole approach to it.

Great job.

Russell :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Common sense is unfortunately not as common as its name suggests.

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #210 on: October 18, 2014, 03:36:39 PM »
Great result, Brian!  :thumbup:

Well done.....  :clap: :clap: :clap:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline millwright

• Leeds West Yorshire
« Reply #211 on: October 18, 2014, 04:16:26 PM »
Excellent result Brian,  i have followed your design and build all the way. its been a very popular read on here by the number of views registerd. You must be very pleased now its running.
 :beer: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

John

Offline Brian Rupnow

« Reply #212 on: October 18, 2014, 05:34:02 PM »
Thank you guys. Sometime within the week, I will be posting a link to a download of all the updated drawings as .pdf files. Nothing would give me greater pleasure than to see someone else build my engine.---Brian

Offline Brian Rupnow

« Reply #213 on: October 19, 2014, 05:57:38 AM »
After I went to bed last night, I realized that during the excitement of the first run, I had forgotten to put gaskets between the intake/exhaust flanges and the valve body. The exhaust gasket is not terribly important, but without an intake gasket it's a wonder that the engine run at all. I will start today getting all of the drawings ready for download.

Offline Brian Rupnow

« Reply #214 on: October 19, 2014, 08:53:51 AM »
I have uploaded about 40 drawings to filefactory.com. If you click on the attached link, you should be able to download then free. They are in pdf format, so you won't need any engineering software to open them. Somebody please let me know if this works okay and lets you download them with no hassle. If anybody finds errors in the drawings, let me know about that please.---Brian
http://www.filefactory.com/file/1dkn3uxr9xbx/RUPNOW%20ENGINE-2.zip

Offline Brian Rupnow

« Reply #215 on: October 19, 2014, 12:50:29 PM »
I made up gaskets for the intake and exhaust flanges (I had forgotten to make them) and after a bit of tuning this morning, I got out my spanking new digital tachometer. This gave me pause, because at first it wouldn't work. Then I tested the batteries that came with it from the factory, and two of them were stone dead. After replacing two of the batteries and warming the engine up, I found that its lowest consistent idle was at about 800 rpm. It would idle lower, but then it faltered and threatened to stall. On the high speed end, it topped out at a whopping 1950 rpm. This is really about what I expected from the cam I designed. This is more of an "industrial" engine that likes a steady speed without wide rpm range fluctuations. It is really happy at about 1200 rpm, and would run all day at that speed without faltering. The heavy flywheel gives a good steady run, with a slow throttle response due to its mass. This engine is almost the exact opposite of the Canadian Cub (Malcolm Stride's Jaguar engine wearing Canadian clothes). I went to separate camshafts so I could set the cam timing of exhaust and intake totally independent of each other.--You simply can not do that with a one piece camshaft. On the question of cooling fans---I wanted a fan with a pitch which would push air over the cooling fins, rather than pull it, when rotated clockwise. (All of my engines are set up to turn clockwise). Unfortunately, the only fan I could find in the correct size range was designed to rotate counter-clockwise, thus the curvature (dished shape) of the blades. However---That doesn't mean they won't blow in the opposite direction if rotated clockwise. They just won't blow as efficiently. I don't need a whole lot of airflow---just enough to keep a steady flow of air over the cooling fins, to move the heat away. As for writing a book---I have had two of my engines published in "The Home Shop Machinist" magazine. I may see about publishing this one, because it is a very unique engine and seems to run very well.---Brian

Offline Joules

« Reply #216 on: October 19, 2014, 01:02:04 PM »
Zip file downloads fine, all looks OK Brian, big  :thumbup: for publishing the plans.
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

Offline krv3000

« Reply #217 on: October 19, 2014, 01:29:55 PM »
well dun

Offline Brian Rupnow

« Reply #218 on: October 20, 2014, 08:36:27 AM »
The engine runs well, but the gears are---ahh----noisy. I knew that they would be. They mesh well, and operate very smoothly now that I have an hours running on the engine. However, experience with other engines I have built sort of forewarned me that the open gearing would make a fairly noticeable "whirring" noise as the machine ran. That is why I made provision for an enclosure to go around the gears. An enclosure will cut down the noise quite a bit,  will act as a containment for grease around the gears, and will provide some measure of safety (although I doubt I would have stuck my fingers in there anyways.)

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #219 on: October 20, 2014, 08:42:32 AM »
Harder to make, but helical gears would be the elegant solution if the straight gears cannot be given an oil bath?
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline philf

« Reply #220 on: October 20, 2014, 09:07:10 AM »
Brian,

A superb project.

Thank you so much for sharing it with us.

How about fibre gears to mesh with the steel crankshaft gear. They should run much quieter and are no more difficult to make.

Cheers

Phil
Phil Fern

Offline Brian Rupnow

« Reply #221 on: October 20, 2014, 12:37:59 PM »
Philf--If I can avoid remaking parts, I will be much happier. I will try this solution first. -Fabrication of the timing gear enclosure went very quickly with no problems. I did have to split it to get it on, as I had indicated on the drawing. The only problem I ran into is that I don't have any bolts long enough to bolt things together. I had to order a minimum quantity of one hundred #5-40 socket head cap screws x 1 1/4" long to get the 6 I need. That will probably last me for the rest of my natural life!!!

Offline Brian Rupnow

« Reply #222 on: October 20, 2014, 06:13:25 PM »
When Ringo sang the song "It don't come easy" I'm sure he must have been thinking about something like this fan shroud!!! The only tube/pipe I could find slightly larger than my 3" diameter fan was a piece of schedule #40  3" nominal diameter steel pipe. It has a 3 1/16" inside diameter. I don't like working with pipe in the lathe.--It's nasty stuff to hold if you don't have a bull nose live center for the tailstock (I don't) and it has a propensity for jumping out of a 3 jaw chuck and rocketing around the room. This forced me to take .002" deep  very light cuts until I had things close to the outside diameter that I wanted to end up with. The wall is still a little thicker than I would have liked, but it was just getting too scary.  I have had a slight change of plan----I was going to silver solder it to the fan support bracket but that would have given me no adjustability at all. I have come up with a rather novel solution for bolting it to the fan bracket instead, giving me a bit of wiggle room if it ends up interfering with the tips of the fan blade anywhere.

Offline Brian Rupnow

« Reply #223 on: October 21, 2014, 12:36:41 PM »
Going boldly where no man has gone be----Well, you get the idea.--Fan shroud is coming together nicely. At the last minute I decided to make the small pieces silver soldered to the steel hoop from brass. My reasoning--If I have to slot the holes with an end mill to move things around for fan clearance, the brass cuts easier. As you can see in the picture, the soldering job called for a couple of strange little "fixtures" to ensure that everything ended up where I wanted it to be. Now to ensure that the steel hoop will be concentric and clear the tips of the fan blades, I wrapped the fan with masking tape until I had .030" thickness of masking tape. Slid the hoop over that (snug fit) and will mark thru the brass ferrules welded to the hoop with a transfer punch to locate the holes I will tap in the fan stand.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 02:17:24 PM by Brian Rupnow »

Offline Brian Rupnow

« Reply #224 on: October 21, 2014, 02:04:31 PM »
So, there we are!! Painted up pretty and done like dinner!! Nothing rubs nor scrubs, nor interferes, but a business card won't fit into the gap between the flywheel and the bottom of the fan shroud.--But it does clear. And that, my friends, was the very last part I had to build for this engine. I have to wait a couple of days for my long bolts to come in that hold the timing gear covers in place, but that's it. I will post one more video before I'm done, showing the engine running at its slowest and fastest speeds because someone has requested it, but other than that, I'm finished. This has been a long thread, as I knew it would become when I started it in July, but it's been fun and interesting. I encourage anyone out there who has at least a couple of i.c. engines "under their belt" to build this engine. ---Brian