Author Topic: Jaguar XJS V12 racing car  (Read 73959 times)

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
Jaguar XJS V12 racing car
« on: October 27, 2013, 05:48:36 PM »
Those of you who may recall my long-drawn out sump saga, may also recall this was destined for a BMW V8-powered Capri. You may further recall that, at the end of last season, said Capri ended up taking a bit of a hammering against the pit wall at Oulton Park.

The Capri is being rebuilt as a space-framed out-and-out special, by Dad. The engine/gearbox (and all-important sump  :thumbup:) survived the crash (even the radiator made it through unscathed!) - but I am moving on. I don't want to have to share a race car again (the feelings of guilt when you crash it are just too much), and I feel that 8 cylinders is not enough any more.

So.... a Jag XJS V12. What could be less sane?

Naturally, the starting point for any sensible build would be either an existing XJS race car, which would need only moderate tinkering to convert to a howling banshee for our championship (which encourages insane engineering projects).

But this is me, so as you might expect, MY starting point is a 1977 road car that's spent the last 13 years stored in a puddle. In Cornwall (which is about 300 tortuous miles from where I live).

Unfortunately, I don't seem to have any pics of the whole car handy, so you'll have to make do with what I've found lying about...

The car (well, the front of it anyway):

Time has not been kind to the interior:

Or the exterior:

Classic British engineering: Stuff it in there chaps, we'll work out how to hook it all up later!

So, full of the joys of spring, I chose the hottest day of summer to go collect. After ~5 hours of driving, starting at very dark o'clock, I arrive onsite at around 9am. It's then that we discover the car is stuck firmly to the spot.... and the winch on my trailer isn't strong enough to drag a recalcitrant cat across the driveway... So; jack up each corner, and set to the brakes with a large hammer. Eventually, all four wheels are persuaded to turn, and the Jag is unceremoniously plonked on the trailer.

No pictures of this herculean effort exist, thank goodness.

5ish more hours later, the Jag arrives at base, and is temporarily dumped outside while room is made for it indoors.

So, here it is, bonnet removed, and that V12 with all of its plumbing on the outside bared for the world to see. At this point, I have no idea if the engine will even turn or not (although I am assured it does):

Time has ravaged the backside alright:

Some time later, after a LOT of sweating, cursing, and spilled vital fluids (both man and machine types), all 3 radiators are removed, the fan is out, and the front of the engine (with, count 'em, FOUR drive belts):

Finally I can get a spanner onto the front pulley - it turns! Hurrah! 1st possible major disaster averted!. It's pretty brown though:

(note the blue tyre spanner on the front pulley, used to test it!)

Inlet manifold/airbox/throttle removed from one side. Nice cam covers, I can see some CNC engraving going onto that...

I have decided that I won't be running any of the original inlet, ignition or exhaust systems, which will make life much easier for me. The Megasquirt ECU originally purchased for the Lexus trackday animal will be re-purposed to run the Jag.

Meanwhile, inside, all is not well:

The other side is even worse!

In fact, some early repair work was required even before the car could be lifted on the ramp, so bad was the rust around the jacking points:

The front looks a bit forlorn, without the mighty V12 lurking within:

Speaking of the V12, it is now stripped of its exterior plumbing, ancillaries and gearbox, and has just received a nice jetwash to get rid of years of crud:

Next job, stripping down the cams & removing the heads.

I plan to totally dismantle the engine, right down to its core components. The pistons/rods will all be fettled to make sure they're all exactly the same weight. Crank will be dynamically balanced. I may replace the pistons with forged ones (or I may not... undecided as of yet). Heads will be mildly ported/flowed and smoothed to improve airflow. Cams will probably be stock for now, I may get a more aggressive cam ground at a later date, depends if I need more horses or not after the initial build. Valve springs will be replaced (and maybe slightly uprated in anticipation of a wilder cam). Every bolt & stud will be replaced with new. Naturally I will be making a dry sump for it...

This is a long-term project, as you can probably guess. At least a couple of years I reckoned, back in August when I started. I'll keep putting sporadic updates here, as & when interesting things happen...

Meanwhile, this is the sort of sound I want it to make when it's done:

Or this (1st car):

So... on a scale of 1 to insane, how mad  :D
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline BenH

• My photos
Re: Jaguar XJS V12 racing car
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 06:02:08 PM »
There is nothing about this I don't like, race car, v12, Jag with the special factory foot well lightening. I shall be watching with much interest good luck :)

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 06:02:55 PM »
Gordon Friggin' Bennet ..  :bugeye:  .... as orphans go, that's a corker .....

On a positive note, the cable ties on pic 11 look in good nick ....  :thumbup:   :lol:   :lol:   :lol:

If I were you I would keep them ...

Dave BC
I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.

Offline micktoon

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 06:22:26 PM »
Hi Ade , looking at them photos has reminded me why I do not do much with cars now  lol .................if the men in white coats see them photos you will be getting taken away in a straight jacket and put in a padded cell  :bugeye: ................. You might still end up in a padded cell even if they don't find you looking at some of the photos  :palm:

However on a positive note I think you can quite safely say you must be ' a glass half full person '  :ddb: and if you can get the engine to sound like that whatever horrible journey you have to take to get there will have been worth it  :drool: :drool:

I will be watching and willing you along Ade ............Good Luck lad  :thumbup:

Cheers Mick

P.S , I presume you did not part with any cash for that vehicle ? ..............  :scratch:

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 07:57:07 PM »
Cant see anything wrong with the left hand side footwell ??
You don't carry passengers in a race car do you ?
John Stevenson

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2013, 09:35:12 PM »
  However on a positive note I think you can quite safely say you must be ' a glass half full person ' 

Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2013, 09:37:41 PM »
This is exciting. A Jag race car!

I am anxious to see where this goes. After being on the track for the first time this year in a car, I just can't get it out of my head.

I am jealous!

:mmr:
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 02:49:43 AM »
Ohhhh........ Ade!!!!!  :bugeye:

What HAVE you taken on?!!!  :palm:

Looking forward to following this. Wherever it leads.......  :D

Good luck!  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2013, 03:26:24 AM »
LOL - thanks guys, this is going to be quite the journey...

The most painful bit is already over, getting the engine out was a mare, especially as I'm trying not to destroy anything (some of those parts I won't be using have a resale value...). With a few exceptions, I'm pretty confident I can now strip the engine right down to its component parts & rebuild it so it still works. The EFI/sparks will all be non-Lucas, so should work... There's a few quid to spend yet, e.g. a manual gearbox conversion, and plenty of machining to do (e.g. an adapter plate for the inlet manifold so I can use BMW M3 ITBs - independent throttle bodies)

The bodywork is just a case of welding new metal in where the old has gone holey, adding a rollcage (which, as a fringe benefit, should also stiffen the shell considerably), design/build new front & rear subframes... re-assemble & job done  :lol:

Mick: I am slightly embarrassed to report that I did, in fact, spend some money on the car..... not very much, I might add, but more than zero. I hope to make that back selling some of the bits I don't need...

Cheers!
Ade.
--

Offline Kjelle

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2013, 03:31:14 AM »
You know, this will be one project I will be following.... It's about as insane as it gets  :nrocks:

Oh, and by the way, what happened to the Granada-Lexus project? Seemed like it could be the ideal tow-car...

Kjelle

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2013, 04:13:22 AM »
Hi Ade
              Love the first video, I can see where you get your motivation, wow your going to need it. However you have made a great start, pleased she turns over ok.
                                                                     Looking forward to the next post
                                                                                                                               Good  Luck  David

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2013, 04:16:57 AM »

Oh, and by the way, what happened to the Granada-Lexus project? Seemed like it could be the ideal tow-car...

The Lexanada (or Granexus?) project is still on the cards, but on the back-burner until the race car is finished. The reasoning is, the Granada requires a lot of engineering, as it will be going back on the road, as well as a lot of interior work - so in project terms, it's a biggie compared to this; which is basically "weld the bigger holes up, paint over the lot, slap a roll cage & a big engine in & go racing"...

If I had nice deep pockets then I could farm most of the work out & have the thing ready by next season - but that wouldn't give me a) the pleasure, or b) (hopefully) the foundations for a new career in race engine preparation... (computer programming doesn't interest me like it used to). As an example, I could spend £8700+tax+my old cyl heads, for a pair of race-spec heads capable of producing between 400-800bhp... I'd much rather be earning that £8700 by doing the work myself, than shelling it out...
Cheers!
Ade.
--

Offline RotarySMP

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2013, 04:31:48 AM »
You racer types are never satified. Cars too heavy so you add lightness. Iron worm adds lightness for free, so you start welding bits of steel to it  :clap:

Cool project.
Best regards, Meilleures salutations, Mit freundlichen Grüßen, Cu salutari
Mark
https://www.youtube.com/c/RotarySMP

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2013, 04:46:37 AM »
You racer types are never satified. Cars too heavy so you add lightness. Iron worm adds lightness for free, so you start welding bits of steel to it  :clap:

Cool project.

I tried welding more rust in, but it's really hard. So my plan now is to weld steel in, then let it self-lighten over time... the trick is to use old BL steel, it rusts REALLY quickly  :lol:

The one downside to building an XJS race car is..... I now find myself looking somewhat longingly at a V12 road car..... must resist! Where will the madness end!?
Cheers!
Ade.
--

lordedmond

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2013, 05:13:55 AM »
As a racer in the past the quote was " between the sheets " :bigeye:

Stuart

Offline cwelkie

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2013, 09:41:49 AM »
As an XJS owner I'm glad to see you've rescued another one "from a puddle".  Second wind as a race car is a fitting final act.
(Mine isn't quite as rusty BTW  :)  )
I can appreciate your desire of late to put one on the road but good grief, you've got quite an elephant to eat already!
Grace, Pace and Space ...

Good luck
Charlie

Offline flutedchamber

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2013, 10:45:58 AM »
Never had the opportunity to turn a wrench on a Jaguar, but have on many of it's relatives.  Always had a warm spot for British iron. :thumbup:

I look forward to seeing the inside of a V-12

Offline JD

• Gosport Hampshire UK
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2013, 05:24:42 PM »
Ade, nice project :dremel: replace the tin worm, add a role cage, fettle the engine and go racing, one snag its the little jobs at the end of the project that get up your nose  :bang: late at night or early in the morning when all you want to do is go racing.
I will be watching this thread with great interest.
Break a leg hope all goes well.
John W
If you cant fix it hit it with a bigger hammer

Offline millwright

• Leeds West Yorshire
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2013, 05:58:50 PM »
Enjoyed the sump saga, this is going to be much better with a whole car to go at. Only one thing better than a
V8 and thats a V12  :drool:  Sounds awsome. Looking forward to the updates Ade
John

Offline oldgoaly

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2013, 06:47:40 PM »
I like it!

Offline Anzaniste

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2013, 04:14:21 AM »
Only one thing better than a V8 and thats a V12  :drool:
John

Oh I dunno! What about a V16?  :thumbup:
Scrooby, 1 mile south of Gods own County.

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Kjelle

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2013, 09:12:45 AM »
David, you SOB! That clip stood all my hair on end!!! :D

Ade, I'll keep my fingers crossed for this "little" project!!

Kjelle

Offline DavidA

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2013, 12:22:41 PM »
...The bodywork is just a case of welding new metal in where the old has gone holey,...

It's the way he says it.

Dave. :thumbup:

p.s.  I have a BMW 518i on my drive that is awaiting similar treatment.  Not for racing though,  just an appropriate 'old mans bumbling about carriage'.

Offline Deko

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2013, 03:19:29 PM »
Thanks for the photos of the (remains) of the bodywork Ade. They are a great reminder of why I sold

my bodyshop business back in 1975. I have done very little work on cars since then.  If folk ask what

I did for a living before retiring I tell them I was a grave digger, then NO ONE wants my services.  :lol:

Cheers Dek. :med: