Author Topic: Hello from Oregon  (Read 4759 times)

Offline rockknocker

Hello from Oregon
« on: September 24, 2013, 06:02:27 PM »
Hello all! I'm glad to join this community, some of the projects here are awe-inspiring! I can only hope that some of mine get finished!

About me: I'm a mid-twenties electrical engineer with a wife and one kid living in the beautiful Oregon countryside. My interests include RC flying, engines, electronics, woodworking, and taking things apart. I've read many forum posts and articles from home machinists and fabricators but have never been able to "join the club" until recently when we moved to our new house with a small shed on the property. I grew up on a farm so I have working (but rusty) skills in welding, fabricating, and mechanics. My job allows me to dabble in the mechanical side of things when I'm done with the electronics, so I have been able to do a small amount of mechanical design and machining there as well. I have several projects that need to be tackled, including but not limited to:
* Turning my new shed into a workshop.
* Restoration of a 1919 model 'T' Ford willed to me by my grandfather.
* Refurbishing of a half-dozen 22+ inch LCD monitors that were given to me. Most of them should come back to life after capacitor replacement.
* Various wood projects for my wife including drawer dividers, a removeable formica tabletop, and a fireplace mantle.
* Something to make all of the plastic baby food containers my daughter goes through more useful. Got a few ideas...

My tools currently include:
* 7"x10" MicroMark metal lathe
* Borrowed Craftsman wood lathe
* Bench-top band saw
* Portable arc welder
* Various power and hand tools

I'm scouring yard sales to get some more essentials such as a bench grinder, drill press, and table saw. A cutting/welding torch and vertical mill are on the long list as well!

I'm looking forward to collaborating with you all!
Anything is possible when you forget what's impossible.

Offline micktoon

Re: Hello from Oregon
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 06:12:22 PM »
Hi Rockknocker, welcome to the forum, From what I have seen on TV you live a a real nice part of the world  :drool: It sounds like you have plenty on your 'to do' list , I like the sound of the model T , any chance of some photos of it ? Hope you get your shed done and can get on with your list  :thumbup:

Cheers Mick.

Offline DavidA

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 06:14:49 PM »
Good to have you aboard.  maybe you will be able to sort out some of our more esoteric electrical prpblems.

Dave

Offline rockknocker

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 06:27:00 PM »
Thanks Mick and Dave, I'll try and post some pics of the model 'T' later tonight.

Oregon's a nice place to live, although it would be nice if the weather could decide what it wanted to do for most of the year. It's the only place I've been where you can see all four seasons in one day. :)

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 07:26:46 PM »
Hello rocknocker, welcome aboard!  :beer:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 07:48:23 PM »
rockknocker

Hi and welcome to MadModder. It certainly looks like you are not going to be bored anytime soon. Spend a bit more time setting everything up right the first time and it will pay big dividends down the road. I will be here watching as things progress. If you have any questions just ask, there is usually someone around to answer or at least give an opinion. :D :D

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 07:50:42 PM »
Welcome to the collective :borg:

Would definitely like to see the T!

I have always had an interest in RC flying. Never really did anything about it though (except for an indoor RC heli). When my father in-law passed, I got a complete plane and a couple of kits. I plan to hang the plane in my son's room and do the kits when he gets a bit older...

Lets see some RC stuff!

I have heard Oregon is a lot like New England.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline rockknocker

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 11:42:13 PM »
I took a photo of the model T tonight as it sits in the shed.

It's a bit dusty but in good shape. My grandfather built it out of a pallet of spare parts and drove it around for years when he felt like it. However, he was just starting to show signs of Alzheimer's when he finished up and there are some parts of it that need attention before it is safe to drive again. The engine runs, but leaks water like a sieve (it'll only go for a few minutes before the coolant is all gone), the transmission bands need to be replaced, and the electrical system needs serious work. I want to fix it up to the point where it looks really good, but not so good that I'm afraid to take it anywhere.

Offline AussieJimG

• In Memoriam
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2013, 10:20:30 PM »
Welcome Rocknocker, that car is one to treasure.

Jim

Offline krv3000

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2013, 04:42:44 PM »
hi and welcume

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2013, 05:10:49 PM »
Hi
Welcome to the forum
That looks to be a decent model T
Good size shed as well
John

Offline micktoon

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2013, 06:23:11 PM »
Hi Rockknocker , The model T looks  :drool: :drool: , I don't know why but I imagined a pick up truck ( probably watched too much of 'The Whaltons' as a kid ) They are a timeless classic well worth the effort of the work that will go into it , even more so with your Grandfather building it too, its amazing to think it will be 100 years old soon !
 As regards the weather , I live in the North of England so know what you mean about season in a day , we can get all four in a morning sometimes and have to go out with everything from Gortex jackets, stout boots, hats but also shorts, tee shirt and sandles  :D

Cheers Mick

Offline rockknocker

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2013, 04:16:04 PM »
Thanks for the nice welcome everybody! I'm impressed with this site already.

As requested, I dug up some pictures of my RC airplanes. I have three, two balsa/ply nitro models with wingspans measuring approximately 60", and one electric P-51 backyard flyer with a wingspan barely over a foot. The larger two models are both damaged at the moment, one needs a little tail work and the other is pretty much a lost cause.

This plane is (was) a kit-built Aerostar .40 trainer. I'd definitely recommend this aircraft to anybody learning to fly, it is incredibly docile. Unfortunately, during my senior year of college my senior design team used it as a testbed for the UAV flight computer we built. A wire came loose during a test flight, resulting in a vertical landing.  :palm:

I'm not sure exactly what model my other nitro plane is, but it's a pretty hot plane compared to the Aerostar. I bought it from a friend, I think it was an ARF bought from a local hobby shop. It runs a Thunder Tiger .56 engine.

For anybody who's interested, here is a link to the senior project page. I'm actually surprised it's still up.
http://classes.engr.oregonstate.edu/eecs/fall2008/ece441/groups/g6/index.htm