Author Topic: PM Research Oscillating Steam Engine Kit  (Read 8930 times)

Offline capjak

PM Research Oscillating Steam Engine Kit
« on: March 23, 2010, 09:53:55 PM »
I bought this kit a few months ago before I found a local source for materials. The castings a some version of aluminum and the rest of the kit is made up of brass and steel. Here are the kit and contents.

Something that I did not expect when I bought the kit was the need for taps and dies that are not readily available locally. I had to purchase 3-48 and 5-40 sets. Fortunately the big brown truck will drop them off a couple of days after I order supplies from Enco. I am amazed at their service.

I decided to deviate from the plans for the flywheel. The plans called for knurling the driveshaft and then pressing on the flywheel. I did not want to do that because if you do, it is not easy to take it apart to make any modifications. I decided to use a grub screw.

I made a mandrel to finish the bottom cap. I used a piece of 1/2" CRS with a locator pin and double backed tape. The tape that I used is a product that I use with my wood lathe.

The metal that was used for the castings is quite soft and difficult to machine. It is very difficult to polish it. I used a progression of abrasives starting from 220 grit and ending up with crocus cloth.
Small particles of metal stick to the abrasive sort of the way that varnish gums up paper when it has not hardened enough  when you are sanding it.

I have completed all of the machine work and have started to assemble the engine. Unfortunately I dropped the wave washer that furnishes tension on the cylinder and it is someplace on the floor of my shop. I spent an hour crawling around yesterday looking for it to no avail and will resume my search later today. I amy hav weto modify tha design to work around my lack of the part. I am beginning to appreciate the benefits of using a jewelers apron when assembling a project.

My next project will be a "Two Poster" that was designed by Bill Reichart. It is pretty and doesn't require any castings.

Thanks for all of the information that I have gleaned from this board.

Jack

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
Re: PM Research Oscillating Steam Engine Kit
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 10:12:18 AM »
Jack,

First. Nice job on the maching. Can't wait to see the finished product.

I have their coke bottle steam engine. It's all cast in bronze. Some where on this forum I started a thread on it. It's a long way from finished.

Now for finding that spring. Tie a magnet on a string and drag it around on the floor near where you think it droped. Might have a swarf clean shop after your done and hopefully the spring washer.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline capjak

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 10:44:05 AM »
Hi Bernd,

Thanks for your comments. Regarding the spring, I live about five minutes from a Harbor Freight which is located adjacent to a Mexican bake shop that visit regularly. As a result, I have six or eight of the free flashlights. I crawled around on the floor with one of them and Eureka! found the washer. Everyone should crawl around on the floor regularly. It is like Christmas with all of the stuff that you find in the various nooks and crannies of your shop. I hope to finish assembling the engine today after I finish shoveling the latest deposit of snow.

Regarding your Avatar, I can remember seeing trucks like that still operating on the streets of Manhattan right after WW II. One of the construction companies had chain drive Mack dump trucks with solid rubber tires.

Thanks again,

Jack

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 03:35:10 PM »
Hi Bernd,
 I crawled around on the floor with one of them and Eureka! found the washer.

Glad you found your washer.  :clap:

Regarding your Avatar, I can remember seeing trucks like that still operating on the streets of Manhattan right after WW II. One of the construction companies had chain drive Mack dump trucks with solid rubber tires.

Thanks again,

Jack

That picture was in the August 1975 Hot Rod. I really love this truck. The guy in California built it from scratch to haul a trailer for his wifes race car. Now that best part is a freind was talking about a guy that started out in a barn and built a business up and that I should go check it out on line. It had to do with a louver punch. So I checked it out. Here's what I found: Low Buck Tooling Go to page #2, 3, & 4 and check out the pictures.

Sorry for the  :offtopic: subject.

Bernd

Offline capjak

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 12:11:56 PM »
I completed this project last week. Here is a video and a still of it completed. I don't know what the next project will be. We have company coming next month so the honey-do list has to take priority. Also the bicycle season is starting so it may be a while. My goal on the next project is to complete it without remaking any parts that are wrong because of a stupid mistake.

The flywheel is rotating faster than it appears but the camera can only record 30 fps so the flywheel appears to be rotating backwards just like the stagecoach wheels id in the old westerns thast we watched when we were kids.

Jack

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 04:00:06 PM »
Nice job Jack.  :thumbup:

Sounds like it's running faster than it looks.

Bernd

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 02:16:21 PM »
Very nice paint job.
Creating scrap, one part at a time

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 08:51:39 PM »
Nice looker and runner! Job well done.  :thumbup:

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.