Author Topic: 1899 Hall Bicycle Alarm  (Read 10257 times)

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
1899 Hall Bicycle Alarm
« on: August 12, 2012, 11:48:06 AM »
I've been out in the shop making chips\o/ This whistle was missing a few parts. I'm going to make new ones going off pictures that I found on the net.

To get started it needed a plunger button. I chucked up a piece of shaft and turned a profile on the bottom.

I then cut it off and turned it around and machined the top profile.

The top mount was missing. There is a link between the whistle and the clamp. I made that next. First I cut off a piece of stock.

Then I drilled a hole for the plunger to go through and milled a slot so the whistle can be adjusted.

Then, using a hand held grinder I shaped the outside profile.

Next I got started on the clamp pieces. A little layout blue and some chicken scratches I have the positions for a couple holes.

I use a block of wood to back up the thin metal. It makes it easier to drill.

Then off to the band saw. The drilled holes were just to get nice rounded corners. The rest of the clamp was cleaned up with a file.

Lots of filing and here is where we are now. I'm now making a press block to shape the clamp pieces.

Hope you enjoy watching:o)

~Wes~
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline daz

Re: 1899 Hall Bicycle Alarm
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 12:23:03 PM »
Tut Tut, using one of those fine wee cutting discs as a grinding wheel, naughty boy :bugeye:
I done the same last week but took it a bit too far, glad I had my safety googles on but I wish I had bothered to look for my full face mask.
Good work though, that thing looks pretty interesting and it's nice to see old things brought back to life and given another chance  :clap:

well done
I'm not a complete idiot, some bits are missing!

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 12:27:50 PM »
What a splendidly complicated contraption, Wes!

Were they run continuously to warn pedestrians that an almost silent bicycle was approaching, or were they dropped onto the wheel when needed, and lifted off when the way was clear?

Not quite the right time period for your 1źd, but still a splendid accessory for it.

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 12:28:38 PM »
I needed the thin disc to grind the profile. Hardly any pressure was required to do the grinding this is a pretty small part. Glad you like it:o)

~Wes~
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 12:31:34 PM »
Andy, There is a spring that lifts the whistle off the wheel. To operate you press down on the plunger that I'm making. I still need to find the spring. I have a PDF of the whistle patent drawing. Can anyone convert it to a JPEG?

~Wes~
Wesley P

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 01:02:39 PM »
Hi Wes ,, you sure do come up with some dam  interesting projects , coooooool whistle  :headbang:

Rob

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2012, 01:12:49 PM »
Andy, There is a spring that lifts the whistle off the wheel. To operate you press down on the plunger that I'm making. I still need to find the spring. I have a PDF of the whistle patent drawing. Can anyone convert it to a JPEG?

~Wes~

Wes

Is it possible to bring the PDF up on the screen and scale it to the required size. Now do a screen capture. Depending on what you use for software you should get it in *.png or *.jpg format. Myself I use Irfanview for viewing photos or Screen Captures. Its free and works a treat.

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 11:25:50 PM »
I'm going to try and age the parts a little. The parts I made I'm not to worried about but the zinc plated stuff sticks out like a sore thumb. To clean the scale and the zinc off the parts I'm soaking them in vinegar and salt.

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 08:43:56 AM »
The vinegar will remove the plating. But keep an eye on it, rinse well with baking soda to neutralize the PH and dry with a soft cloth.If left to air dry it will and can rust.  The vinegar/salt mixture is an old time quick rust patina method. It will rust it quick, rinse well with baking soda to neutralize the PH then dry completely. Be warned that the rusting may continue after you are done even when clear coated.
Metal sculpture artists have that trouble, that it will continue to oxidize.
Looking good so far.
I have posted a number of photos in a thread on using vinegar to remove galvanized plating.
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 01:31:57 PM »
Thanks for the heads up Glen. In this case that's will be a good thing. The fellow I'm fixing this for wants the new parts to match the old ones.

Here they are this morning. Soaking in baking soda to neutralize the PH.

It took a couple days extra to get the plating off but they are now bare metal.

Stay tuned...

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2012, 02:04:49 PM »
If you want all parts that are ferrous to have the same level of rust patina. There is something you can do. The electrolysis method of rust removal can be made to develop rust, by merely reversing the positive and negative connections Now before some start about what a load of **** here's a link. Reverse Electrolysis the perfect antique patina on new metal parts
 :bugeye:  :thumbup:

Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
glen

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2012, 03:08:08 PM »
Thanks for the link Glen.

Here are all the parts cleaned and ready to be finished.

I made a quick bending jig out of a piece of oak.

Here it is in my press.

Looks pretty good to me! Here is an original and the newly bent piece.

All assembled. It looks pretty good I think.

Anyone see the piece that I missed? The little clamp under the spring. Grrrrrrrr!

I'll get that made and soaking.

Later,

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2012, 04:46:34 PM »
Looking good so far, very nice job. :thumbup:

Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
glen

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2012, 06:43:56 PM »
There was a little work in that little part. It started out as a piece of scrap metal:o) I cut it off and laid out the holes and circles.

Then a little filing.

And a little more filing.

I then cut it off and filed the other end to shape.

Then I bent it to shape.

Now I'll soak in vinegar so it matches the other pieces.

Later,

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2012, 07:13:34 PM »
Wes

Damm your smart. I was trying to figure out in my head how to make it. None of my ideas were near as simple or as good as yours. You make it look so easy. Thanks for letting me watch over your shoulder.

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
and your better best

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2012, 08:19:25 PM »
Smart hell, he is better than damn good to drill the holes first and then bend it and have the holes line up like they do!!  :clap:  :clap: :thumbup:  :clap:  :clap:  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :doh: way to go Wes

Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
glen

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2012, 09:40:22 PM »
Glen

Now that you mention it and I think of it for a minute.   :Doh: :Doh: That is awful damm good to drill first and then bend and have everything right where it is supposed to be. As we have always suspected Wes is not your average weekend metal basher. That boy has got talent.

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
and your better best

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2012, 12:29:19 AM »
Wesley P

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2012, 02:11:42 AM »
So sorry, I missed most of this build Wes.  :palm:

Don't care if it does make you blush...... You're a metal magician!  :bow:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!