Author Topic: Inverted Hit n Miss engine converting to IC  (Read 5592 times)

Offline cfellows

• In Memoriam
Inverted Hit n Miss engine converting to IC
« on: March 28, 2012, 04:32:43 PM »
These are pictures of an inverted hit n miss engine I completed almost a year ago.  The engine was designed and built to run on compressed air, and while it runs good, I decided it would be more fun and more exciting if it was converted over to internal combustion.

Currently the engine has a bore and stroke of 1" x 1.5".  I plan to make a new cylinder with a bore of 1.25", leaving the stroke at 1.5".  I'll also make a new, thicker head and a shorter connecting rod to reduce the compression ratio to around 5:1.  New intake valve assembly, new exhaust valve assembly, simple needle valve fuel mixer, new cam, ignition, 10mm spark plug and few other odds and ends should do it.  Stay tuned...

Offline cfellows

• In Memoriam
Re: Inverted Hit n Miss engine converting to IC
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 12:56:48 AM »
At the last minute, I decided to leave the bore size at 1".  I wasn't sure the crank disk and crankshaft could take the additional power from a 1.25" bore and I figured I might as well use as much of the existing engine as I could.

So here is the original cylinder sitting on the head.

And here is a picture of the bottom of the head.  Socket head cap screws are used up from the bottom to hold the cylinder in place.  A socket threaded to accept the spark plug will be silver soldered into the center hole.  The spark plug will be on the bottom of the head and will not be visible.  I'm hoping I don't have fouling problems from this arrangement.

Here is the head from the top, cylinder side.  I cut a deep recess in the middle to lower the compression ratio.  This should bring it down to 6:1 or so.  The recessed holes on the outside corners accept socket head cap screws which hold the cylinder/head assembly to the engine base.

I got roped into helping SWMBO paint the spare bedroom so may not have any updates for a couple of days (1 day to paint and a second day to recuperate!)  :'(

Chuck

Offline cfellows

• In Memoriam
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 07:08:05 PM »
Got some catching up to do.  I attempted to solder the spark plug spigot into the steel head and failed miserably.  I then made a new head out of brass, but in my hurry to get making chips, I didn't think it through and didn't leave enough meat on the head to attach the intake and exhaust valve assemblies.  So, I made yet another head out of aluminum.  Here are the results.

More work done on the top.  The threaded hole coming in from the side will be the exhaust side.

Another shot of the bottom after drilling some holes and shaping the sides.  The side with the long flat section will be the intake manifold side.

And the top...

Had to bore out the hole in the base to accommodate the larger circular portion on the bottom of the head.

Here's the base with the head bolted in place.  I also had done a bit more shaping after I took the pictures above.  There is now a raised ring, 1/16" thick and 1/16" high that encircles the cylinder.

And a picture of the base and head with the cylinder sitting in place.

I also plan to fancy up the cylinder, do some kind of curvy profiling on it, but haven't decided on a design yet.

Chuck

Offline cfellows

• In Memoriam
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 07:10:11 PM »
And another photo with the beginnings of the exhaust manifold and valve assembly.

The exhaust valve and cage will bolt down on top of the piece in the picture.  

Chuck

Offline cfellows

• In Memoriam
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 01:34:12 PM »
The only thing left on the Exhaust Assembly is the valve itself and retainer pieces.  Here's a few pictures of the assembly.

Think I'll tackle the intake assembly next, probably tomorrow.

Chuck