Author Topic: My KR2 Home built  (Read 8071 times)

Offline norman

My KR2 Home built
« on: November 19, 2011, 11:56:41 PM »
Here is the KR2 I built from plans back in 1982 while I lived in Linch, Wyoming. The flyby is at Pampa, Texas airport. I've been flying this airplane since 1985. I started building it in nov 1982. I had to build a small shop to build the airplane. engine is a bored and stroked VW 2180cc. I've never had any problem with this engine or airplane. It's carried me to and from Oshkosh, Wi. numerous  times and all over the US. I've got about 1600 hrs flying time in it. Here's a 200+ mph pass down the run way.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 12:44:32 AM by Brass_Machine »

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: My KR2 Home built
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 12:45:44 AM »
Pretty cool! I have always wanted to learn to fly. Had a thing when I was a kid... reading all the kit plane magazines and such!

Eric

**edited your post so the youtube vid is embedded.
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 12:49:58 PM »
Love that sound at speed. I'm also a VW owner. Always wanted to built a 2180cc motor for my buggy, but never did or will. Had to preen down my to do list or I'd have to live two life times.  :lol:

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline norman

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 04:47:46 PM »
My Kr has the RAF48 airfoil same as the British spitfire from WW2. I can't confirm that but been told that years ago by the designer of the Kr series Mr. Ken Rand. I really do like it's performance for a short /small plane it is a hoot to fly. I learned to fly tail draggers in this plane, self taught which isn't the best way to do it, but for me I had no trouble doing it my first 150 hrs my plane was based on a ranch airport in Wyoming the runway was a 5,000 ft dirt with parriedog holes and a dogleg in the runway to make it interesting.
If I ever would have ran off the runway the sage brush was so high it probably would have tore off my wings. the elevation was over 5,000ft and the runway was a one way run way you took off down hill and landed up hill a couple of miles to the west the terrain rose to over 7,000 ft. My first pavement landing was in Buffalo, Wy. it scared me pretty good no slipping and sliding like it did on the dirt.
 The plane is build from wood, foam, and fiberglass. I did all that before computers were common in the home so all I have is old photos of the construction none are on line so I can't share them. If your interested in how one is built from plans only you can do a search for the Kr series one is KR2.net I think.

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 12:10:21 PM »
Many years ago my dad was interested in building his own plane. I can't remember if he belonged to EAA or not. He knew a guy from work that build his own plane and kept it out our way at an airport. Got to ride in it. I'm still looking for my stomach after all these years. He did a couple of stunts . He even let me take the stick. I tried to do a turn but the plane lost altitutde. Guess I needed a few more leasons. I'm still waiting for my stomach to come back down.  :lol:

Bernd

Offline norman

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 05:36:56 PM »
Bernd, I hear ya on the motion sickness. I've never had that but when some one in my plane does get that way I try to get them back on the ground quickly the smell of the puke will get to me quick. I do carry the little bags for that. Plus instruct them how to use it before taking off. There isn't any room in my plane so if they do blow your in the line of fire, it ruins the ride for them and me.

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 05:46:20 PM »
No, I didn't get motion sick. He did a couple of those up and over the top. Kind of like a Rollercoaster  were you get that weird sensation in your gut. The weirdest sensation was when he did a half roll. The only sensation was sight, as the horizon line went vertical.

All in all it was a lot of fun. the most disappointing ride was in a helicopter. I thought you feel some sensation going straight up, but nothing. You get more of a joy ride out of an elevator.

Bernd

Offline ncollar

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 11:47:58 PM »
Norman
That has to be a special plane. Real nice and smooth and to get that kind of speed out of a 2180cc pancake engine. Enjoyed your video and kind of envy you.
 :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :beer:
Nelson Collar