Author Topic: Reverse tumbler gears for a G0602 lathe  (Read 13890 times)

Offline norman

Reverse tumbler gears for a G0602 lathe
« on: November 20, 2011, 12:01:23 AM »
here's where you can get the plans to build yourself my idea for reverse tumbler gears for your lathe. I hope this will help you guys with a lathe that doesn't come with the reverse tumbler gears.

http://www.projectsinmetal.com/normans-reverse-tumbler-plans-for-a-grizzly-g0602-10x22-lathe/

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
Re: Reverse tumbler gears for a G0602 lathe
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 01:14:56 PM »
Nice jon Norm.

I thought that site looked familar. I was/am a member. Got into one disscusion with a guy on making 127 tooth gear. It was hard to explain to him how it was done. I finally gave up infrustration knowing full well how one could do it. Guy Lautard has a write up in his book "The Besdide Reader" on orginating an orginal index plate. Yet I couldn't make the educated person understand.

Ok, I'm getting  :offtopic: here. Back to the reverse tumbler gears.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 01:36:53 PM »
That particular lathe is on my radar. I believe it will be my next one... This will come in handy!
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline norman

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 04:56:20 PM »
Bernd,don't let someone stop you from going back to Projects in metal forum I'm on there quite a bit. If some one tries to piss you off just ignore them, I don't do thing in the proper way anyway I do them to suit myself. I do enjoy doing something that is said it can not be done, or isn't easy to do. Well sometime I do.

Brass-machine I hope you do use the plans for the reverse tumbler gears if you get a G0602. for me once I got my ducks in a row I knocked it out fairly quickly. I went with the small engine gears to make it cheap and simple to do. One guy did do some research and found metric gears for it but I like the metal gears simply because they were at hand and match so close.

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 12:04:11 PM »
Bernd,don't let someone stop you from going back to Projects in metal forum I'm on there quite a bit. If some one tries to piss you off just ignore them, I don't do thing in the proper way anyway I do them to suit myself. I do enjoy doing something that is said it can not be done, or isn't easy to do. Well sometime I do.

No, no, I wasn't pissed off. It was just irritating when you explain to somebody that something can be done and how and they still say it can't be done. I also think the forum was starting out and didn't have very many members at the time. Of course there's always one student who knows more that the teacher.

I did go back and reread that thread and I see it died with out a solution. If you take a look type in 127 tooth gear in the search engine and my name you'll see for yourself.

I spent a quite a bit of time on the various metal working sites. I started at HMEM and then when Eric asked if I would like to be a mode I jumped at the chance and it's been my permanent home since then. I discovered if that I spent more time on the computer then doing machining or working on the "honey do" list.

Anyway I'm getting  :offtopic: here and it's your thread  and I don't want to hijack it, so I'll shut up now.  :)

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline norman

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 01:00:52 PM »
I don't mind the off topic stuff. I seem to be good at off topic myself. Maybe my ADDHd kicking in ???? :doh:

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester Essex (where the lathes were made)
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 03:11:28 PM »
Norman,  have you considered making a  hardinge type dog-clutch  for these lathes?

Bill

Offline norman

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2011, 05:30:12 PM »
No Bill I haven't. Do you have one on your machine? If so post it, I'm sure everyone would like to see it I know I would.
 I do not know much about them, I know you asked me that on a different forum. I still don't know if I could or would want one on my lathe. I do find it interesting.
I'd be more inclined to try making a power cross feed but then I'm not sure I could make it. I've seen lathes that are close in size to the g0602 and I think they do have the powered cross feed.
Norman

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester Essex (where the lathes were made)
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2011, 11:44:48 AM »
Do you have one on your machine?

Yes, but  it is a Hardinge HLV-H so it always had it :)

The advantage it gives (especially with a retractable tool-post ) is the ability to thread without detaching the half-nuts (so metric and imperial threads can be cut without a threading dial) . If a threading stop to disconnect the dog clutch can be incorporated in to the design then threading to a shoulder becomes child's-play. 

I think if I were adding a power cross-feed then I'd look to adding it to the rear of the lead-screw using a small servo-motor  without (or with not too much) reduction gearing, so that it would not need mechanically disconnecting for manual use.

Bill
Bill