Author Topic: Chester 626 mill CNC Conversion  (Read 269996 times)

Offline Pete.

Re: Chester 626 mill CNC Conversion
« Reply #575 on: April 09, 2013, 10:18:38 AM »
Rob, don't take this the wrong way but - I HATE you :D

I am hand-scraping that surface because I have no way of machining it, my mill is too small. It's the only thing I have to use for a reference for the lower dovetails. Been at it hours already and it's not even a bearing surface :(

Offline Mayhem

• purveyor of mischief
« Reply #576 on: April 09, 2013, 01:29:21 PM »
That is going to be one hell of a nice mill when you are finished Rob.

Whilst it is major PITA - look on the philosophical side:  without disappointment we cannot truly appreciate success.

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #577 on: April 10, 2013, 04:59:02 PM »
Hi there, all,

Rob,

I've been following this thread with interest.  I find the work you've been doing absolutely mind-boggling and I feel for you as you find each new problem.  It must be horrible to be sort of trapped by the work you've already done - giving up now would be enormously costly in terms of your investment so far.

The best I can say is 'hang in there!', I'd like to encourage you somehow, though I speak from such an inexpert level.

At least you have other machines to bring to bear on the Chester - imagine the plight of someone just having a dud machine and only their bare hands and a file and scraper or two!

It does give me an appreciation of the achievements of the pioneer machine tool builders, starting from very little and building-up to some of the huge but precise machines I have only read about and seen in pictures.  One such that comes to mind is the gear-cutting machine that floated in/on a pool of mercury to isolate it from ground tremors, was it Browns in Manchester?  I think it was that one that made/makes the big double helical gears for naval gearboxes.

Anyway, I say again, 'hang in there'.

Hi Pete and thanks for the words of encouragement  :beer:

If the truth be known I am quiet enjoying the challenge and I would never give up,just  too dumb to no when I am beat  lol  , anyway its something to keep the gray cells going . Its not that I am really tied by the parts I have made ,as I can really just re make the parts if needed s be at the end of the day its just material and time , time is free  lol  , I am tied by the castings ,as they have already been machined  :bang: , I am just going to have to be a tad creative with some of my setups .

Aye I am with you there , the pioneer machine builders were in a class of there own , I just love reading  about how it was done back then , Mined you there are still people out there  like Mr Gingery that have built machines from absolutely nothing with hand tool . My hats off to those lads .

Rob, don't take this the wrong way but - I HATE you :D

I am hand-scraping that surface because I have no way of machining it, my mill is too small. It's the only thing I have to use for a reference for the lower dovetails. Been at it hours already and it's not even a bearing surface :(

:lol: :lol: :lol: Its Ok Pete ,,,,,,, if it makes you feel better I hate me too  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously though , I would be hand scraping the parts if I did not have the new mill , you stick at it you will get there  :thumbup:

Whilst it is major PITA - look on the philosophical side:  without disappointment we cannot truly appreciate success.

Thanks Darren ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, very true words  :med:

Thanks Rob

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #578 on: April 11, 2013, 04:26:04 PM »
Evenin Lads

Wile pondering how I will go about machining the knee ways , I decided I would go mining for some cast iron to make the gibs from , so off I trots to the end of the garden , to the cast iron mine .

That was a big old surface plate , so large I had to forklift it into my van then take it to a company I do work for and use there 250 amp plasma cutter to cut it into three bits . Any way I set about one of the three sections with sledge hammer and grinder to remove the webs , cut a about 8 inches of one end and milled it up flat ,

After clean up it ends up 27 mm thick  , very usable . My plan was to cut it into strips on the Aciera in HZ mode , but the travel is 30 mm to short ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, oh well time to make some tooling for the new mill ,plenty of travel on that , i will just have to cut the plate vertical ,knee problem .  :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb:

Making three tools one smaller fly cutter to finish machining the ways , other one is too large , and a couple of slitting saw arbors , one 1" and other 1 1/2" .

Stock

Ruffed

Ruffing taper

Tapers finish machined  and tapped for draw bar.

machining 1 1/2" dia section for slitting saw

still some machining to do , enough for tonight .

Rob

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #579 on: April 11, 2013, 04:54:00 PM »
 :bugeye: :bugeye: :bugeye: :bugeye: :bugeye: :bugeye:
I Like the tooling
Tapers look great  :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :thumbup: :thumbup:
John

Offline micktoon

« Reply #580 on: April 11, 2013, 05:04:25 PM »
Thats some going there Rob !!!!! that would be a real big project for lots of us .....well me anyway :palm: They all look up to your usual standard too  :drool: :drool: .... you are going to run out of tools to make at this rate lad  :lol:

Cheers Mick.

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #581 on: April 11, 2013, 05:19:00 PM »
What taper is it Rob ?
If it's 40 INT got some chucks and holders here going spare as I have standardised in ER32 and 40 now
John Stevenson

Offline krv3000

« Reply #582 on: April 11, 2013, 05:59:06 PM »
well dun rob

Offline Swarfing

« Reply #583 on: April 11, 2013, 07:08:03 PM »
 :hammer: saw blade is on upside down....knew he was not that good  :D
Once in hole stop digging.

Offline Country Bubba

• LaGrange, GA USA
« Reply #584 on: April 11, 2013, 09:38:59 PM »
Nah, he runs it the other way round:})

From what I read on this forum, people in his area don't abide by other peoples standards!   :hammer:
Art
Country Bubba

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #585 on: April 12, 2013, 06:07:00 AM »
 :lol: :lol: :lol: thanks lads  :Doh:

What taper is it Rob ?
If it's 40 INT got some chucks and holders here going spare as I have standardised in ER32 and 40 now

Thanks for the offer John , but there 30INT  :Doh:

Cheers Rob

Offline Pete.

« Reply #586 on: April 12, 2013, 08:08:35 AM »
What do you use for scrapers Rob? I just make a handful of carbide-tipped ones so I can have several different style tips without re-grinding.

Offline haoxiaoquan

« Reply #587 on: April 12, 2013, 10:35:05 AM »
 :nrocks:good !!  nice       great job         Can you tell me this material number! Shank
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 12:06:30 PM by haoxiaoquan »

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #588 on: April 12, 2013, 11:00:48 AM »
:hammer: saw blade is on upside down....knew he was not that good  :D

Probably just cutting some vinyl siding for the workshed with it. He does everything first class.  :bow:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline Swarfing

« Reply #589 on: April 12, 2013, 12:18:01 PM »
With the blade the wrong way round you know it would still cut perfectly for him.  :nrocks:
Once in hole stop digging.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #590 on: April 12, 2013, 01:09:41 PM »
No - it's for 'unsawing' the bits he cuts wrong so we never see them  :ddb: :ddb:

A bit like the reverse function on my CNC lathe chip conveyor - turns the swarf back into barstock  :lol:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #591 on: April 12, 2013, 02:40:34 PM »
I bet he's threaded it left hand........  :headbang:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #592 on: April 12, 2013, 04:09:33 PM »
 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: you lot crack me up  :lol: :lol: :)

Tad more done today  :dremel: , milled the slots for the drive keys .

And finished the turning on the slitting saw arbors.

Milling the face of the flycutter body .

slot for the tool and drilling was all done at this setup .

Flycutter finished .

Just need to make two cups tomorrow to clamp the cutters to the arbors , then back to work on the mill  :nrocks:

Rob 

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #593 on: April 12, 2013, 04:13:25 PM »
Looking great Rob :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
You nearly have as many "fly cutters" as I have ER32 chucks  :Doh: :Doh: :Doh: :Doh: :Doh: :Doh:
John

Offline micktoon

« Reply #594 on: April 12, 2013, 07:18:17 PM »
 Looking nothing less than delightful Rob  :bow: :bow: :bow: :drool: :drool: , next job will be another tooling rack if you keep going at this rate ! . Hope you get some shop time at the weekend .
  Cheers Mick.

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
« Reply #595 on: April 13, 2013, 02:57:34 AM »
Looking great Rob :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
You nearly have as many "fly cutters" as I have ER32 chucks  :Doh: :Doh: :Doh: :Doh: :Doh: :Doh:
John

You should make a trade..  ;)
Machinery: Optimum D320x920, Optimum BF20L, Aciera F3. -- I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. http://www.roughedge.se/blogg/

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #596 on: April 13, 2013, 04:22:20 AM »
Awesome, will they be getting any surface treatment to stop them rusting Rob? Yeah think you should start making nice little super accurate bench top mills at a cheap price!!! ;-)

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #597 on: April 13, 2013, 02:48:07 PM »
What do you use for scrapers Rob? I just make a handful of carbide-tipped ones so I can have several different style tips without re-grinding.

Hi Pete , here  are a few of my scrapers I have collected , some were donated by Dave BC others I just picked up here and there ,some were my granddads , I have a box with a few more in somewhere  :scratch:

Any chance of a photo of your shop made scrapers  :poke:

Rob

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #598 on: April 13, 2013, 02:51:00 PM »
Awesome, will they be getting any surface treatment to stop them rusting Rob? Yeah think you should start making nice little super accurate bench top mills at a cheap price!!! ;-)

Do you want to buy a slight used 626 IN BITS!  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I may give just the bodies a plate Nick , :thumbup:

Rob

Offline haoxiaoquan

« Reply #599 on: April 14, 2013, 08:40:25 AM »
 :DHI    Rob
Arbor is very beautiful !What material you use?  Need to do a heat treatment this?   thank you