Author Topic: Knives, from junk.  (Read 21650 times)

Offline one_rod

• Chesterfield, Derbyshire.
Knives, from junk.
« on: April 16, 2011, 06:17:10 PM »
Noticed a bit of knife-related traffic on this forum, so I guess it will be ok to talk about this stuff here.

Knifemaking is a bit of a passion of mine, but I flatly refuse to buy materials for it. At least half the fun is in knowing that finished knife cost me nothing except time and ingenuity. (Well, that and a bit of forge coke and a lot of sweat).

These knives are made from files. File steel is around 1% carbon, good stuff for blade making. A bit tough to forge, but easy to heat treat and takes a very nice edge. Sometimes it's also fun to leave the file teeth on, just to add a little "texture" to the finished blade.

Pretty obvious what these next ones started life as.
Toughened, rather than hardened, are good prying knives. Anyone who does field archery or bow hunts will find themselves having to dig arrows out of tree trunks from time to time. Don't need to be razor sharp, more of a crowbar with a cutting edge.

And from there on the possibilities are endless.

Reinforcing bar...

Allen keys...

Truck half-shafts...

Roller bearing shells...

Car leaf springs...

The local scrap yard provides plenty of supplies and endless inspiration.

one_rod.

"A season ticket for the one way ride..."

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
Re: Knives, from junk.
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 06:48:48 PM »
Wow!!! Those are great!!! I hope mine turn out half that nice(o:

Wes :wave:
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline Andy

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 07:31:53 PM »
I'm not usually interested in knives but I like these - creative and they just have that right 'look'.
Any chance of a 'how to' on any of them?
From probably the smallest, dampest and most untidy workshop in Bradford, West Yorks, England, if not the world..

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 02:24:24 AM »
Rod.
They're beautiful:bugeye:

Love your ability to see the possibilities, inside a piece of scrap.....  :clap: :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 02:55:19 AM »
Absolutely wonderful.

I need to reblade a couple of my 'special' toolbox folding knives, now I know what to use.

Bogs
If you don't try it, you will never know if you can do it.

Location - Crewe, Cheshire

Skype - bandit175

Offline BiggerHammer

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 09:29:43 AM »
Very nice work. I never would have considered making a blade out of an old file. I absolutely LOVE the one in the last pic with the brass guard. What type of metal did you use for the blade?

Offline Blade

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 10:52:35 PM »
Nice! i like the truck half shaft knife and the rebar knife. I started out making knives from what most people would consider junk, made a ton of knives out of old saw blades and files and leaf springs. Planer blades make great knives also and if you are carefull when you cut and grind them you can make a knife without having to mess with heat treating.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 11:02:09 PM by Blade »

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 12:01:43 PM »
I was chatting to Bogs about these on Sunday... They are a very nice collection.   :nrocks:

Personal preference - 3rd one down.... The file pattern makes it very different, and then the last 2. The little one with the great shape and then the leafspring bowie type.... Very nice and shiny (I like shiny :headbang:)

Still can't have them outside of your home here without a damn good reason. But I do like the style and finish on them a lot, would look nice on display and make a possible talking point?

I'm bound to have a go at some point  :dremel:

Very happy you decided to show them.  :)

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 04:27:16 PM »
 :bow: :bow: :bow:

Very nice! Next time you make one, can you take some pictures along the way? I would be very interested in seeing the process.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline one_rod

• Chesterfield, Derbyshire.
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 05:30:04 PM »
Thanks to everyone for the comments.

Brass_machine, Andy, et.al. Think I have a few "in progress" photos somewhere. Will have to dig them out.

BiggerHammer, that knife was made out of one of the rear leaf springs from the strangest little car you will ever see....http://storm.oldcarmanualproject.com/reliant/robin/Reliant%20Robin%201e.jpg   :loco:

Doing this sort of thing is just about keeping an open mind, and seeing the possibilities.

A couple of before/after shots...

one_rod.

"A season ticket for the one way ride..."

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011, 07:13:49 PM »
Hey I have a couple of busted crescent wrenches that I've been saving for something cool. Thanks for the inspiration!!!
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline Blade

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2011, 10:21:45 PM »
That crescent wrench knife is sweet. Is the blade forged from the handle or did you add some other material?

Offline joshagrady

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2011, 11:00:41 AM »
Doing this sort of thing is just about keeping an open mind, and seeing the possibilities.

I think there's a bit more to it than that.

You do some beautiful work.  Thanks for showing it off.  I too would love to see a photo report of the process.

Josh

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2011, 12:22:26 PM »
One Rod, have you ever seen the episide of "Top Gear" where they review the Robin?  Hillarious.  He rolls it over about half a dozen times.
Creating scrap, one part at a time

Offline BiggerHammer

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2011, 09:07:07 PM »

BiggerHammer, that knife was made out of one of the rear leaf springs from the strangest little car you will ever see....http://storm.oldcarmanualproject.com/reliant/robin/Reliant%20Robin%201e.jpg   :loco:

Yes I am familiar with the Robin. I am a BIG fan of Top Gear UK. It has made an appearance or two on the show.

Also I never would have thought that you could get that knife out of THAT crescent wrench/spanner or whatever you guys call it over there.

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2011, 03:57:22 AM »
Very impressive  work ,One Rod  :bugeye:  :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Rob