Author Topic: Fixing a tire changer....  (Read 4621 times)

Offline mhh

Fixing a tire changer....
« on: June 29, 2014, 03:18:22 PM »
Hi!
We are two friends that have a small hobby workshop together (I am a machinist and he is a smith) we like to repair old machines and create new and wacky contraptions! (It is only one of us that is writing this, so a lot of time when I say 'I'... 'We' is actually more correct, of course I do most of the machining and he does most of the welding and platework but we can  both weld and both use the machines!) Enough explaining! lets get to the point!

New project! Promised to try and repair this tire changer.... quite big machine, can't remember how big tires it can take, but my small 14" is waaaay to small to be changed with it! so this is for tractor and truck tires!

The main axle is broken in two.... this is going to be some project!

First thing first, had to measure it up, biggest diameter on the shaft is Ø100mm, smallest is Ø83mm length up to the shoulder is 395mm.

The plan is to turn a new shaft with a large diameter thread and then turn the broken jaw to fit that thread.

I want to machine the side of the jaw that is broken, so first I chucked it in the 4jaw.. and it just barely fits the lathe! not much clearance from the ways! The casting is way to rough to chuck so I turned a diameter so I can hold it in my 3jaw.

Welded a few pieces of steel onto a set af jaws.

This is all I can do for now, I want to turn the new shaft before I turn the broken jaw and the material for that is being delivered sometime in the coming week!

Updates will follow!

Sorry for any bad spelling, grammatical errors and poor language.... It has been a long time since I've written anything in english!

Mads.