Author Topic: Recycling day...  (Read 8653 times)

Offline arnoldb

• Windhoek, Namibia
Recycling day...
« on: January 22, 2011, 02:17:23 PM »
Sometimes things come together, albeit a bit crudely...

I've been frustrating myself with a VERY disorganised "table" on which I've been keeping my mill's accessories.  This is the way things looked until today - a very good example of a very bad example, and definitely no way to treat tools:

Besides being an untidy twit, I simply didn't have space to store a lot of the "stuff", and this morning I received a package with more:

A selection of end mills that outnumbers the lot I had built up over the last couple of years I've been machining.  I happily blame Bogs for this; he gave Richon Tools's web link and the rest is history; that whole selection literally cost me less than just two ball nose cutters bought locally.  But where to go with them  :doh:

On to the recycling....
Early in December, the nice big printer we used for the last six years at work to print a couple of thousand customer statements every month packed up.  I duly got repair quotes, had to pick myself and my office chair back up off the floor, and rather ordered a new printer; it was cheaper.  The old printer was moved down to my orifoffice, and stood there awaiting "disposal" - lots of paper work needed to keep the accountants and financial director happy before it can be taken away...
Then, last week, the MD came around the building in "Seagull" fashion and demanded that I get rid of all the crap standing around my office, as we had VIPs coming later in the week and he wanted to show them our data centre.  I don't mind getting the data centre shown off; it's my responsibility baby, I put each and every bit of kit in there myself, so I feel quite honoured when we have VIP guests there.  I keep it really spick 'n span; problem is, one has to go through my office - which is NOT spick 'n span  :lol:

So I did all the paper work, got all the signatures, and could responsibly dispose of the crud from my office.  Some went straight to the tip, but I loaded my little Polo up with some "usable" items, and disposed of it at home; quite legally, and the bosses know I do it  :ddb:

That big printer will be stripped down for usable bits (shafts, springs, bearings and so on), but it also had a very nice stand on lockable caster wheels:

Amongst my scrap wood, I had a 35mm thick kitchen sink cut-out from a counter top; it would work nicely with some modifications:

Further scratching around amongst the "brown stuff", and I found some off-cut pieces of pine shelving a neighbour tossed out.  After a bit of work with the jig saw, portable drill and a screwdriver, those were installed in the "printer stand":

My other neighbour is currently adding extensions to his house, and a bit of pine roof construction cut-off was tossed on the builder's scrap pile; I picked it up and poked a couple of randomly placed holes of varying sizes in it:

Got to love one's neighbours - except the one across the street; my ears are hating me for having repaired some nuts on his trumpet  :palm:

A couple of old 3.5" floppy disk holders (also tossed out at work about a year ago), and there's some level of sanity to the different sizes and types of milling cutters I suddenly have an abundance of:

The "counter top" also received some jig saw treatment and hole poking to hold draw bars and MT4 shanks and so on; I ended up with this lot:

So, recycled printer stand, floppy holders, shelving offcuts and roof-building offcuts... Not pretty at all, but functional, and best of all, it cost me only about N$ 1.50 (for electricity and screws), and a bit of time.

And that's most likely the last time anyone will see the mill accessory trolley that neat  :lol: :lol:

:beer:, Arnold

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
Re: Recycling day...
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 03:09:47 PM »
Nice work Arnold, and a tidy bit of scavenging... I need to do something similar, my workbench has started to experience tides...
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 03:48:27 PM »
It has taken me many years to get around to it Arnold, but now when I use a cutting tool, it goes straight back to where it came from. All I need to do now is the same thing with hand tools, I suppose that will take another lifetime.

Where this is all leading to Arnold, if you get the right methods of storage, it does become a lot easier to force yourself to become tidy.
Empty storage holes, or tool plastic containers, now look to me as if they have to be filled.

I'm sure your great attempt at storage solutions will be a big help in keeping your shop tidy.

BTW, have you tried the cutters yet? I don't think, for the price, you will ever be able to complain. I certainly can't with the ones I have had.

John
If you don't try it, you will never know if you can do it.

Location - Crewe, Cheshire

Skype - bandit175

Offline krv3000

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 04:10:20 PM »
HI all well im one of lifes nothing is scrap it all can be made to do sumthing the a mawnt of marjareen tubs and ice creem tubs sweet tubes sweet boxes i have full of things that i can no longer find as the wife says it keeps me out of her way  :lol:

Offline fixit

• my first engine
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 09:59:32 PM »
looks good Arnold 

Like bogs i learnt years ago   ' a place for everything and everything in it's place!'

or  'better looking at it than looking for it'

it realy lets you work with less stress not looking for the next tool/spaner ect.

Steve
northolt,near Mc donalds, next to Pc World

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 02:48:43 AM »
Great bit of recycling Arnold,

I try to reuse stuff where I can for shop storage, slowly replacing round storage tins for square ones, (they take up less space)
Great idea with the disc boxes:- now what did we do with ours  :scratch:

Keeping thing stored away in order makes you more productive  :whip: less time searching for the correct cutter, tap or nut.

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline arnoldb

• Windhoek, Namibia
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 07:11:11 AM »
Thanks for your replies everyone  :beer:

John, I haven't tried the cutters yet - but they do look well-made. Hopefully today if I can shake off the effects of behaving like a 20 year old last night with some mates.

I do agree with having a place for everything; my storage solutions simply hasn't kept up with the rate at which my tool and material collection has expanded.  Hopefully later this year I'll get my radial saw; my grandfather has said I must take over his as he cannot work with it any more.  Then I'll take some time out and build some proper wall cabinets and collet racks and so on.

Regards, Arnold

Offline fluxcored

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 03:38:28 AM »
That looks like a Mannesman Tally's stand??

Nice work - I found one 5 years ago and converted it to a welding table.
"Living is a dangerous occupation. Just look at all the dead people out there." - Thomas Lipton