Author Topic: Webster IC Engine build log.  (Read 178727 times)

Offline dbvandy

Re: Webster IC Engine build log.
« Reply #325 on: June 07, 2011, 09:25:36 AM »
Oh.. I remember when... it was just a little pile of unfinished parts... gears not hobbed...  pistons not grooved...  ignition not made by a 12 year old Chinese girl...  You have come a long way!!! :headbang:

Looks very nice...  Once it is straightened out, you can put it on your mantle so when your friends come over and ask you "what do you do with it?" you can answer...  "Show it to you... and no, I am not going to hook it up to anything..."

Doug :coffee:
"if you can pay someone to do it, then you can do it... just might cost more and take longer."  ~Grandpa Vanderbilt

Offline kwackers

« Reply #326 on: June 07, 2011, 01:40:58 PM »
.  ignition not made by a 12 year old Chinese girl... 

Didn't realise you two had met!

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #327 on: June 07, 2011, 02:01:05 PM »
 :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: nice one Chris  :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Looks great on that base  :thumbup:

Rob

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #328 on: June 07, 2011, 04:14:27 PM »
.  ignition not made by a 12 year old Chinese girl... 

Didn't realise you two had met!

Ho ho ho, Kwackers. Hope all is well, not spoke to you in a while as I`ve been on hols. I bet it has been heaven without the constant mithering ;-)

Rob - cheers. Glad you thinking it is looking better.

Just a quick update, I have extended the intake line again as Stew posted many pages ago and this seems to make things miles better! I know this seems stupid, but I think I`ve been flooding the engine with too reach a mix. I`ve also reverted back to the intended use of the vapour carb. Back when I couldn`t get the engine running and I thought it was a fuel intake problem I extended the inflow pipe to pull in fuel below the fuel line like Jan Ridders original bubble carb. I`ve not reverted back so the inlet is just blowing over the top of the fuel and disturbing it rather than bubbling through it. I can only presume this has again reduced the richness of the mixture and has also enhanced the performance of the engine and makes it much easier to control via the air/fuel mix nut (remember I was having problems with this not doing anything). The engine seems less fussy now about the perfect position of the air/fuel nut and more reliable. I think perhaps a few more nights of playing, polishing and it should be running better. Fingers crossed.

Chris

Offline dbvandy

« Reply #329 on: June 07, 2011, 10:26:30 PM »

I've not reverted back so the inlet is just blowing over the top of the fuel and disturbing it rather than bubbling through it.

Chris

This is why in new revisions of Jans carbs, and my redesign for the Otto, the intake comes out of the top of the tank instead of the side.  You can eliminate most of the sucking of raw fuel into the engine by filling the tank below half full... 

Doug  :coffee:
"if you can pay someone to do it, then you can do it... just might cost more and take longer."  ~Grandpa Vanderbilt

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #330 on: June 09, 2011, 03:45:06 PM »
video  :poke:

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #331 on: June 09, 2011, 04:18:20 PM »
Haha, yes, no lie, I smashed my camera on the last day of my holiday so I`ve borrowed my dads old Nikon D50 DSLR, it seriously doesn`t have a video function!

It isn`t perfect, adjustment is still tricky but it does throttle up and down. I showed it my Grandad yesterday and it kicked up first time  :ddb: :ddb:

I must admit, I`ve put it on the mantle piece now, waiting for the name plate to arrive. I will get a camera ASAP to take a video!   

Anyway, must stop typing, I`m mid way through my first evening on my next project  :ddb:

Chris

Offline metalmad

« Reply #332 on: June 09, 2011, 06:43:34 PM »
Hi Chris
Will be watching mate
good on ya  :wave:
A little bit every day, sometimes the same little bit!

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #333 on: June 12, 2013, 09:49:11 AM »
Chris,

Was just having a look back through your build - don't suppose you can remember how you set the ignition timing? i.e. how many degrees before top dead centre?
As you've probably seen over on MEM, Jo is using a similar system (may be the same one) on her R&B gas engine but there is some debate on where these CDI things need timing due to some in-built advance or retard.

Cheers,

Nick

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #334 on: June 16, 2013, 04:37:19 PM »
Bloody hell, this is a thread from the past! NickG I don't get on here much so sorry for the late reply. Sadly I can't help. There wasnt much science with me... I just kept adjusting it until it "went" reliably!
Chris

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #335 on: June 16, 2013, 04:43:18 PM »
Haha, no worries I just vaguely remembered you used a CDi ignition system so searched for the thread! did you use a drill to start or just flick it over by hand? I am still yet to make an I.c engine - one day soon hopefully!

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #336 on: June 18, 2013, 04:39:59 PM »
Hi Nick, I most definitely have to use a drill! It won't kick up by hand or using a string to pull it.... A drill is the only way I can get it running!

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #337 on: June 18, 2013, 05:05:00 PM »
Cheers, I think that is possible a result of the CDi - maybe!

Offline pat_pending

« Reply #338 on: November 14, 2017, 02:57:16 PM »
Following on from the last pictures ...

I turned the OD of fuel tank / vapour carb down to make a nice looking brass cup :D

The top air intake is two piece. An M10 tapped insert soldered into place to allow filling of the tank and then a screwed insert for the air intake reducing the air intake to an 3mm hole tube. The shoulder of the insert is contoured on the shoulder to allow it to sit nicely on the tank. I couldn`t for the life of me think how to do this and so a friend and fellow madmodder suggested a two piece design, where a washer is used as part of the shoulder and the washer filed and sanded to shape. This worked really well but I would be interested to know how this could be made from 1 piece as per the plans

The fuel/vapour outlet tube was then made...not the best photo but all the parts here are ready for soldering..

My sophisticated soldering setup...the cooker top.

And then all polished up... I`m really pleased with it! I just need to make the main air intake insert and the nut which covers the additional air intake on the threaded outlet, glue on the glass viewing window and put it on a stand and then I`m done. Getting there...! 

I believe I`ll need a one way valve as a must as well, so they will be the next things to make.

Hi all, appreciate this is a really old thread so apologies if this is against protocol. Really tearing my hair out finding a source of glass disks to use as sight glass for my vapour carb. I am tempted to get a diamond hole saw and try cutting out of a sheet of glass. My track record with glass cutting has been less than stellar! also, any tips on what glue to use? If anyone could point me in the right direction that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Patrick

Offline Joules

« Reply #339 on: November 14, 2017, 03:09:52 PM »
You can also try copper pipe and carborundum.  It’s a tad more friendly on the glass.  Keep the carborundum in solution so it can wear the glass, oil parrafin etc.
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #340 on: December 13, 2017, 04:45:06 PM »
Hi, sorry I didn't see this to reply. Probably too late now but the glass is a chemistry watch glass. They are nice and thick and can be purchased in a variety of sizes.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DUTSCHER-001758B-Watch-glass-Pack/dp/B019839J10/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1513201369&sr=8-2&keywords=Chemistry+watch+glass

If you let me know what diameter would be good, I may be able to source one for you.
Chris

Offline pat_pending

« Reply #341 on: December 29, 2017, 07:34:54 AM »
Hi Chris, thanks for the reply. I knew they existed! Just couldn't find the right search term. I ended up making my own after robbing the sheet of glass from a family portrait (priorities you see). This turned out to be a pain but happy with the end result. Im trying to get my Webster build log up in the gallery now so hope this sheds some light on my procedure. P