Author Topic: TIG Welding for Dummies  (Read 20625 times)

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
TIG Welding for Dummies
« on: September 02, 2008, 06:17:59 AM »
 TIG Welding for Dummies
by John Swartz and Brad Hemmert
Miller Electric Special Edition
Wiley Publishing
copyright©2008
ISBN#978-0470-24455-5
small format booklet
comes with a DVD for the new TIG welder
The Miller Diversion 165
How to weld set up and operation.
They are currently not for sale with out the welder.

This is not an endorsement or recommendation to sell or buy this unit, just for informational purposes

Diversion product detailshttp://www.millerwelds.com/diversionpc/details/

This is just a little heads up if you happen to see this at your LWS. I took part in a sneak peak, critique of the book and video for Miller a while back.
This 68 page introduction booklet caused quite a stir on the Miller site forum. Some were upset at the title, some were upset that Miller would dumb down the TIG welding process. And some still don't get what the whole idea is behind it is.

This is a use of the popular dummies series of books. To bring some interest and get people to read the introduction to the tool/welder you just bought. As who reads the directions right out of the box right!. Along with the video on the 4 step set up with only an adjustable wrench of the unit. you can start to Practice TIGging.

The video is good but short as it covers the high lights of getting started. in learning to TIG welding.

The unit itself is designed to fill the gap in Millers line up at the lower end. Home owner,weekend warrior small shop type TIG weldor. It will cost under 2 grand and is being rolled out across the country different areas at a time.

It is amazing to me how many people are really upset about it. I guess the Dummies title signals a demystifying of the art and practice of TIG welding. Make no mistake,they don't say anybody can do it other than with lots of practice, practice and practice. It will be an An American brand in a currently all import market and fill hole in the blue line up.

The booklet itself is very well done in the style and format of the Dummies books:

* Introduction
    * Getting to know TIG welding
    * Gearing up: TIG welding equipment
    * Choosing electrodes and consumable materials
    * Putting safety first
    * Prepping to weld
    * Selecting joints and welds.

It has all the regular icons a Dummies book has and can be used from chapter one to the end or any chapter that interests you.

My only other thoughts on the unit is as one person on another forum put it they will be a lot of them welders for sale when the dummies find out they can't TIG. Well if that's true, then everybody here can pick one up cheap and carry it in the car for emergency repairs.
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: TIG Welding for Dummies
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 02:50:06 PM »
I am going to look into this one. I want to learn to TIG in a bad way. I have been considering saving to go to this guys TIG school.

WeldPro. I have heard good things about his class.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Alphawolf45

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 06:54:50 PM »
 I am on the Miller forum and seen the reaction to the booklet first hand..But it not a friendly place there anyway ....Ever hear them guys say that welding machines should not be sold to newbs? Should be required to have a license of some kind to buy a welder? Yeah they say that over there.....The arguement is newbs will buy a cheap 110 volt welder and then tack a trailer or a trailer hitch together with shallow welds that then come apart on the interstate killing some innocents.....
I got a huge old TIG welder this year. I already had an arc welder and oxyacetylene and a Mig welder but TIG is just the ticket for precisely placed small welds..Today for instance I welded up a pair of mis-placed  holes in the stainless steel gun frame.Could not have done that with any other welder I had....But I'll never be an expert with TIG even if I had stack of books and videos...I do good but  need a welding teacher to watch and critique my work if I wanted to turn PRO and act all arrogant on the Miller welding forum...Hehhehheh..
I am not actually retired ,I merely find myself disabled by an intolerance for productive activity.

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 07:06:57 AM »
Yep you said it, as I tried not to be such an A** when I was describing the reaction. I guess I just can't handle all the legends in their own mind types that are on the net.

The number of unheralded geniuses, just astounds me. Demystifying TIG welding will lower their standings in their villages and return them to their rightful status as the village idiot!
 ;D 

Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
glen

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 12:50:07 PM »
The number of unheralded geniuses, just astounds me. Demystifying TIG welding will lower their standings in their villages and return them to their rightful status as the village idiot!
 ;D 

Good lord... I almost spit out my coffee when I read this...

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Alphawolf45

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 04:03:26 PM »
[quote author=The number of unheralded geniuses, just astounds me. Demystifying TIG welding will lower their standings in their villages and return them to their rightful status as the village idiot!
 ;D 
[/quote]
 Thats funny ..Not everybody has a high aptitude for mechanical crafts..Some of the persons with the least aptitude , who has had the worst time learning their craft are also the most talkative..Indeed compensating for low self esteem they re-invent themselves as an internet authority....People are interesting...unless they talk about themselves and their new tools everyday for months, that gets old. .

I am not actually retired ,I merely find myself disabled by an intolerance for productive activity.

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 06:17:21 AM »
Just an added note the Diversion 165 has hit the web herehttp://www.brweldingsupplies.com/product_details.cfm?category_id=7&product_id=1421
for $1,275.00

As always stated the standard disclaimers apply, I have not or currently have an interest in either companies. This is for information only, not an endorsement.

Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
glen

Offline Rog02

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 11:47:59 PM »
At the risk of sounding like the "village idiot" as some of you tend to label professionals, I had the opportunity to try out the little Diversion over the Labor Day weekend.  Miller had their trailer and display set up just down the row from the booth I was doing metalshaping for.  As we did not have any welding equipment I was just running down the line and using the equipment as I needed.  The Miller rep is an acquaintance of mine, and he was letting me experiment with whatever I wanted.

It is a pretty nice little entry level unit with the usual limitations of such.  The HF eliminates the need for scratch starts that most of the lower end TIG units out there have.  The AC mode worked OK but made me very appreciative of the fully adjustable AC cycle and dwell times on my Dynasty.  The fingertip heat control on the torch is nice, but when I asked the rep about reliability he just shrugged his shoulders. 

The Diversion handles 18 gauge steel well, .090" 3003 Aluminum so-so, and 24 oz. copper sucked the guts out of it. 

The Diversion appears to be a replacement for the old Econotig units.  It will probably make a good entry level welder for the weekend car buff that is restoring a beater in his backyard. 

Roger
I'm OLD, I'm TIRED, and I'M GRUMPY!

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 01:39:10 PM »
At the risk of sounding like the "village idiot" as some of you tend to label professionals, I had the opportunity to try out the little Diversion over the Labor Day weekend. 
It is a pretty nice little entry level unit with the usual limitations of such.  The HF eliminates the need for scratch starts that most of the lower end TIG units out there have.  The AC mode worked OK but made me very appreciative of the fully adjustable AC cycle and dwell times on my Dynasty.  The fingertip heat control on the torch is nice, but when I asked the rep about reliability he just shrugged his shoulders. 

The Diversion handles 18 gauge steel well, .090" 3003 Aluminum so-so, and 24 oz. copper sucked the guts out of it. 

The Diversion appears to be a replacement for the old Econotig units.  It will probably make a good entry level welder for the weekend car buff that is restoring a beater in his backyard. 

I don't know about professions being the village idiot, But there was enough complaining about ruining welding and the world in general. Along with just about any reason you can think of.

You did say that it was an entry level unit for the weekend beater. Which is my understanding what it was designed to do as far as welding copper or thicker stuff it won't do it but it wasn't designed to do.

As to how long it will last it is just hitting the market place so nobody knows only guesstamating at this point.

I was talking about the guys on these forums that are the worlds greatest at any forum they happen to be on at the moment. Whether they are a pro or not. They are still wringing hands and gnashing teeth about it.
So now we have a very simple 4 step to hook up with only one wrench. Sort of plug and play.

The only thing I know for sure is that, I know less than, I know. I learned welding in 1965,66,67. I still don't consider my self a welder, as I don't do it all day every day. I have a dynasty 200dx, a 225xlac/dc, a CH70 buzz box, Clarke 100 MIG,Linc 125 MIG henrob torch set up and more other type torches than I care to admit.

I wouldn't consider my self a professional, and I can't find any where on this forum were anybody said the professionals were a village idiot. It's just there are so many legends in their own minds that think they know but for the most part they can't find their A$$ when their head is shoved up it.

You seem to be enough of a professional that you were able to figure out what the diversion 165 was designed for.

Also with all the moaning about the Chicom stuff you think that a US maker would be welcomed in to the market place, if for nothing else the parts and warranty at hand.

Most of the guys that pitch about Chicom stuff wouldn't dare say a word to wifey when she comes home with the car loaded down with stuff. How about their HDTV, or even the computer they use to spread their pearls of wisdom, most of the innards are far east import made.

So at least you do recognize what the diversion165 was designed to do! So you couldn't be called a village idiot. Besides your village called and said they all ready had their idiot back for weeks and he can't weld ;D.

Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
glen