Author Topic: Scuplture as Experience  (Read 3340 times)

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
Scuplture as Experience
« on: December 13, 2009, 05:00:14 PM »
Sculpture as Experience
2nd Edition
Judith Peck
copyright©2007
Krause Publications
Krause Publications
ISBN 978-0-89689-453-2
Paper back

If you would pick this book up and look at the Fly sheet, and read the descriptive blurb"Clay,Wire,Wax,Plaster and found objects--Now --Paper,Foam Core,Wood and Sand and Methods for Mounting and Project Preservation"
Most would probably put it right back down. Now I bought it from a remainder at a very low price. Mostly because of the Wax in the description.

Since it was done as a course book for a 17 week course in mixed media sculpture work. There are section and chapters that may not apply to a metal artist work. But with more people that are branching out and trying casting of small to medium sized pieces. even the clay sections have some merit.

After the introduction covering the scope,objectives and etc of the book.
The first chapter deals with the Dynamics of sculpture, Shape, Form,Mass Spatial Relationships, Line Balance, Texture, Light and Shadow. Along with Personal Vision and Style.

Paper and Foam core are good for per building stages of trying to figure out if it will work for a mock that is free standing. I don't thing you can beat foam core as it is cheaper than sheet, plate or bar stock.

• All of the chapters consist of the nature of the Project
  • Checklist of Tools and Materials
  • Procedures
  • Extending the Project (sort of what to do after as some extendeed learning)
  • And any additional sections that may be only for the materials being discussed

Wood Construction (for those that may not be conversant with it)

Found Object Sculpture( for those that need some guidance in picking and choosing the objects that will go in to their art)

Modeling Clay (For pulling a mold of of and making a wax to cast) there are any number of more sections as in real life there is more to it than meets the eye.)

The Figure in Foil(aluminum) and Pariscraft(gauze impregnated with plaster) To separate figures that you can recombine (an exercise in group figure composition) 

Fabricating wire Sculpture(whether you use it for stand alone work free standing or wall hangings) Or the basis of an armature for clay or metal additive filler rod sculptures. Or even mobiles, it will give a good grounding in it.

Working wax(again it can be used in so many way whether as a start to casting pieces, belt buckles or wall hangings) It does have some additional areas covered that are for the material only.

Carving in Plaster and Cement & Vermiculite(before we start I did some checking on the Status of Vermiculite since it seems the up roar a couple of years ago has gone away. Vermiculite Technical info It was as I thought the people that had long and direct exposer to it at the mine and processing plant of the one location.)

I have used this mixture of cement ,vermiculite and organic type material, peat moss etc. in making some Alpine type natural rock garden planters.
With out the organic material, and following the directions for carving and adjusting the form of the blocks you can come up with some deceptive looking light bases for the sculpture.

Sand sculpture may be of use(off of the beach as small items can be used a mold base for wall hangings or small items that are brazed or welded together.)

Project Preservation and Patina(from Clay and wax to Auto body filler and fiberglass with resins. Patina's mostly apply to the other materials and not metals.)

Mounting(will give some concept of the things needed to mount your sculpture to its best advantage.)

All in all, a pretty good bang for the buck and some interesting reading.
Was being remaindered here

And here is another useful book finder site that can locate used and new books at an assortment of prices.
A world wide book finder
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen