Author Topic: Books of interest for Blacksmithing  (Read 3961 times)

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
Books of interest for Blacksmithing
« on: December 06, 2009, 07:11:59 AM »
How to Teach Yourself
Blacksmithing
with Clay
Don A Meador

Copyright © 2006
Millennial Marketing
Soft cover Booklet 36pages
B&W photo's, Line Drawings

Ok to begin with this book won't teach you Blacksmithing! It will teach you the basics of aspects of moving metal. As with his other books, this one is written well, nice clear drawings and B&W photo's.

In the first part he discusses the shared characteristics of clay and hot metal, He also talks about the differences in both which is important. His reasoning in thinking that clay is a good substitute. Since smithing is like working in the fourth dimension to make a 3 dimensional object. So that at the final bend of hammer blow the piece ends up looking like you envisioned.

You can work indoors, as he said in front of the TV if you want. Another advantages is no wasted metal at today's prices.

Tools & Materials
Types of clay and Clay preparation
Cutting Clay into Standard sizes, He shows you how to make a rolling board and cutting device. So you can re-make your bar or round stock. Complete with parts list, drawings and photo's.
Hand Tools, a substitute anvil from common lumber, an anvil horn from a section of copper pipe, clamps and a block of wood.

Part II
Basic Blacksmithing Techniques
Drawing out
Folds
Curls
Twist
Upsetting
Punching
Splitting
Showing how these are done, and how to do them in clay

Part III
Projects
He shows a double ended hook, a fork, a wall coat hook and a couple of animal refrigerator type magnets or whismies as they are called.

Part IV
The last part is transferring the newly acquired skills to metal. Goes into the proper anvil height and hammer blow strength. Since you haven't been hitting the clay at the same force you will be hitting hot metal.

So, if you are thinking of starting out or don't know if you will like smithing. You can try it out for a smaller investment in tools and equipment.

The other advantage is if you have a young un that wants to do it too. it may be a good way to get them started and out from under you anvil.
And yes you can put this technique into practice with any basic book on smithing. Granted you will not be able to make completed complex projects that are long in length. But the smaller components can be made and assembled.

Nation Builder Books

Lindsay Books
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Re: Books of interest for Blacksmithing
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 03:30:38 PM »
PTsideshow

Thanks for posting this review and link. I know that you don't get a lot of responses to a book posting but thought that I would let you know I usually read them. I like the idea of using clay to learn how to beat metal into shape.

Cheers :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
Re: Books of interest for Blacksmithing
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 07:44:15 PM »
Thanks,and your welcome and its not a problem I know that people are reading or at least looking at them here and on the other sites I post them.
On the Hobart welding forum mostly welding and shop books, the counter turned over 80,000 plus open the threads today.
People find them useful, I know that not every body cares to have a better library than the local county. :bugeye: This way people can see if the hype is what the book is about.

By the way I have used the regular plasticine clay or the Roma oil based clay from the art store. Dick Blicks has the regular clay made by the Klean Klay company comes in1/4 pound sticks. The Roma art clay comes in assorted hardness's comes in 1 and 5 pound bricks the hardest one is good for practice.
Dick Blick art supplies
Don't know if the sell to Canada, but is is a great source of information and brand names and types. For tracking down.
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen