Author Topic: The Jeweler's Directory of Decorative Finishes  (Read 2775 times)

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
The Jeweler's Directory of Decorative Finishes
« on: May 14, 2008, 08:39:38 PM »
The Jeweler's Directory of Decorative Finishes
by Jinks McGrath
ISBN#0-89689-193-3
Kp Books
copyright©2005 in the US
A Quartro publishing plc
London ©2005

Right up front let me say that I am a fan of Ms. Jinks McGrath. Her writing style, and her metal work. Also this is another of the dual published works. So the terms used may note be what us on this side of the pond are use to, But they do a better job with this book then others.
As the covers shows, and it has been stated many times in this forum. Sample chips, tabs with corresponding numbers to good notebook with info about the formula's and steps taken do wonders for the repeatability of a patina or other decorative finish.
Starting out with a review of the safety and basic tools and equipment that you will be using. Then moving on to a separate chapter on each technique.

* Stamps and hammering, from a quick how to make the stamps to clear bright pictures and plenty of samples
    * Rolling mill texturing, picking the material to use and samples of them
    * Fusing
    * Polished,matt and satin finishes
    * Etching
    * Patination and oxidization
    * Casting
    * Press Forming
    * Reticulation
    * Gold and silver foil (leafing)
    * granulation
    * Enameling
    * Engraving
    * Inlay
    * Chasing and repoussé

It is a glossy papered full color book,lots of pictures of the items being discussed. Not so much of the work table and beyond is shown very nice closer upper pictures so you can see it. The style of book chapters is nice too.
They start with a section on the Technique with a bit of background info, relevant safety info, tools and materials required. With clear instructions and illustrations. Then the showcase of hers and others work with the technique. a listing of the materials used,description of how it was done. Along with numbers to related sample of additional techniques if required. They follow this format thru out all of their books, Hence the name Quartro!
All in all if you are into smaller pieces, or elements of large constructed work this book may be of interest. If you do the knife, jewelry or other ornamental work. It might be a must have.
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen