Author Topic: Another agricultural job  (Read 2836 times)

Offline smiffy

Another agricultural job
« on: August 18, 2020, 04:57:49 PM »
Being involved with the local agricultural community brings a never ending pile of jobs . A pair of axle trunnion blocks turned up from a 20 ton 4 wheel grain trailer . These were long past there sell by date . The original plastic bushes were worn through and the pivot pin had worn the hole very egg shaped .
 I managed to set it up in the 4 jaw chuck and bore the block out , then turn up 2 oil impregnate bushes and 1 spacer bush for each block.
The u bolts are threaded 27 mm x 2 pitch fortunately I have a die that size so was able to clean the threads up .
Just waiting for some new nuts to be delivered and the job is finished .
The pins are a bit worn but will have to be or as I do not want to make new ones .
The holes ended up 85mm bore  and the new bushes bored out to 75 mm .
All took over a day to complete and produced a large bag of plastic swarf  .
I hope that the farmer appreciates the amount of work involved in doing work like this but I doubt it  as they always moan at the bill

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: Another agricultural job
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2020, 05:27:44 PM »
Nice job :thumbup:

My farmer ‘clients’ never moan at the bill as I never give them one. I refuse to work for money, I didn’t retire to still have work pressures. I tell them I’ll do jobs as a favour and in the future they can help ME when my back is against the wall  :clap:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline kayzed1

Re: Another agricultural job
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2020, 08:10:35 PM »
Same as Andrew me, i did once ask for a bottle of wine as payment..never again :doh:
I tend to do all the old stuff as it is mainly of the smaller sizes, also bits for ploughs and
the like..Just made a gear for the reverse on a quad bike...two bottles of wine that one.
They always bring metal to do the job to, ask what is it! lump of steel bin in the yard years :clap:
Nice work BTW.
Lyn.