Author Topic: Resurrection of a CFEI 100 KVA Induction Furnace  (Read 83219 times)

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: Resurrection of a CFEI 100 KVA Induction Furnace
« Reply #550 on: November 19, 2020, 09:31:23 AM »
No Steve you've got it upside down. If only it was that easy ! This is the high point of the slope of the roof, The barge boards are designed to fit over the sheets, but obviously not at the low end where the gutter is !

So DPD delivered the threshold strip just now so my job for tomorrow (weather permitting - it's just started raining again) is to hack off the old threshold, make sure that the underlying concrete is a smooth and dust free as reasonably possible and glue the new threshold into place.

Obviously delivered rolled up but I've unrolled it in a heated workshop to give it a chance to relax into an approximately flat state prior to laying.

Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #551 on: November 19, 2020, 09:44:19 AM »
Okay got it, impossible to tell from the photos.
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #552 on: November 19, 2020, 09:52:28 AM »
Steve I'm adding another annotated view of the roofs involved to clarify what I mean. The label 'Top Barge Board' is where I was working today - this is the top (upper) part of the foundry roof and the fall is away from this point.

The label 'Main Workshop Side Bargeboard (Sealed)' has the one corrugation of that roof that penetrates the foundry and is leaking. Goodness only knows how rain is getting into it.

By the way - the foundry is entirely of non-combustible construction so no acrylic sheets I think

(And I see that man is STILL on the roof  :lol:)
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #553 on: November 19, 2020, 09:55:03 AM »
I guess the top "barge board" is what we would call the roof cap here in the States. Seems short for that, particularly on a low pitched roof. Any chance of putting a second wider cap over it?
Steve

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #554 on: November 19, 2020, 09:57:11 AM »
aaah we're cross posting...... I'll shut up for awhile...
Steve

Offline Muzzerboy

• The Mighty Shiz
« Reply #555 on: November 19, 2020, 10:01:24 AM »
I've used that rubbery threshold under / behind my roller door and it's been totally successful. I also used that Stixall "hybrid" adhesive and it hasn't failed anywhere. The clever part was looking at the ends where it met the pillars and sealing that too, to avoid water creeping round.

This stopped the puddles forming inside the doorway when we had heavy rain (the concrete floor isn't level and slopes the wrong way).

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #556 on: November 19, 2020, 10:08:03 AM »
For a double pitched roof (like the main workshop) we have moulded ridge pieces in the fibre cement material that fit neatly into the corrugations each side of the ridge (visible in one of the pictures  - photo #7 of post #546) - I'm not aware of a barge board equivalent ie flat on one branch of the L and corrugations on the  other - anyway one isn't fitted but it would be a good solution if it exists and not impossible to retro-fit.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #557 on: November 19, 2020, 12:53:24 PM »
Cast one in place?  Yeah I know........:loco:

Steve

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #558 on: November 19, 2020, 01:03:06 PM »
A bit of googling shows me that they ARE available in 1 metre lengths, ie one roof sheet widths at about £20 each so about £100 for what I need. They are called Eaves Corrugation Closers.

I think the foam and gunge wins at the moment  :clap:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline russ57

« Reply #559 on: November 20, 2020, 07:29:48 AM »
Could you use wide sheet metal flashing? So it extends well over the edge and well back onto the corrugations.
Notch around the corrugations so it sits quite close.

Of course the angles may have done my head in and I'm missing the point...

I think there is also a lead replacement sheet material that can be dressed into the profile.

-russ

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #560 on: November 20, 2020, 07:46:53 AM »
Well Russ the plan for today was first to squirt some expanding foam to fill the 'upper bargeboard to corrugations' gaps, and while it was expanding and going hard start to remove the old sand and cement threshold ready for the new rubber one to be bonded down. By this time the plan was to trim back the expanding foam at 45 degrees with a sharp knife and liberally coat it with the Cromapol roof gunge.

Well all plans have to be flexible when weather is considered ! It was minus 1.5 degrees C here this morning and there was ice on the barge board so no way I was venturing onto it, and the foam needs 5 degrees to properly work (but doesn't mind the water - in fact it needs it to cure)

So things got reversed. I started by chopping out the old threshold using my Kango fitted with a 'Clay Spade'. It has come off remarkably cleanly despite a liberal coat of PVA on the concrete before I laid it. After a good clean up I glued the rubber threshold in place weighting it down where it was trying to curl up. I can't just lower the roller shutter, as if any of the glue oozes out I'd end up with the threshold and the roller shutter seal glued together. It will have to stay partly open for probably 24 hours to give the 'Stixall' a decent chance of curing as the temperatures are at the lower end of it's range.

Then having cleared away the sand and cement from the threshold I could get on squirting the expanding foam. In the event it was possible to do it all off a ladder leaning over the bargeboard.

I'll probably leave the foam until tomorrow before I trim it to shape and slap the Cromapol on, but thankfully that too can be done off the ladder.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Sea.dog

• Up Spirits!
« Reply #561 on: November 20, 2020, 09:06:52 AM »
Fingers crossed it all woks out this time, Andrew.

PVA is not recommended for use in wet environments. SBR is the new wonder adhesive since it's an acrylic, so not water-based.

PVA still remains water soluble even after it's set.

Offline Muzzerboy

• The Mighty Shiz
« Reply #562 on: November 20, 2020, 12:11:46 PM »
That Stixall is bloody marvellous stuff. Usually described as an adhesive sealant, available in black, white and clear. The clear really is crystal glass clear, which has its uses and the white stuff can be used where you'd previously have used acetoxy silicone bathroom sealant. It sticks to just about anything and sets to a rubbery texture. I've used it to hold shower panels in place, glued the new bath to the wall, skirting boards in place, even bonded a 2m x 1.4m glass shower panel in place. You can get a really neat finish using either those finishing tools or just skill(!) followed by a quick swipe of the finger with dilute washing liquid.
https://www.toolstation.com/stixall-adhesive-sealant-290ml/p69243

It's like many resins and adhesives ie a sod to clean off your hands. Dunno if you've see this stuff but it's marvellous. It's ester-based, so reasonably kind on the skin but very effective at its job. Doesn't take much and you can mix it with Swarfega or liquid soap. Worth having one handy. https://www.arco.co.uk/products/2750400

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #563 on: November 20, 2020, 12:40:20 PM »
I have high hopes of it, but I'm pushing my luck temperature wise. It's lower 'application temperature' is 5 degrees C. The concrete that I'm gluing to was 6 degrees C when I put it down - it's now 7 degrees and the forecast is for 10 degrees overnight (seems a bit high - we are in a frost hollow) and their quoted setting time for a 1 mm thickness is 24 hours at 23 degrees C.

It is still tacky  six hours after laying so if this is still the case in the morning I'll try and arrange a mild heat warming tunnel over it with polythene sheeting and a fan heater on low.

Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #564 on: November 21, 2020, 05:40:23 AM »
Well good to it's word the forecast was correct for once and it was at least 10 degrees overnight, resulting in the Stixall having at least partially cured. Even the bits that have oozed out as biggish lumps are pretty solid so I felt happy to remove the weights and inspect. The outer edge is absolutely fine, the inner edge has one or two ruckles that will need a bit of attention when I'm sealing the ends of the threshold to the frame of the shutter.

I then went back up the ladder and trimmed the expanding foam on the upper barge board to approximately 45 degrees and gave it a good slathering of Cromapol fibre filled roof sealant.

As I'm writing this my extra tube of Stixall has just been delivered by the postman (postwoman actually, Steves on holiday!) so I can carry on with the sealing, but in practice I think it best to give the first application longer to fully cure, and anyway rain is threatening.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline hermetic

« Reply #565 on: November 21, 2020, 12:28:50 PM »
That looks good Andrew, you can't do with water dripping into the foundry!
Phil
Man who says it cannot be done should not disturb man doing it! https://www.youtube.com/user/philhermetic/videos?

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #566 on: November 21, 2020, 12:57:58 PM »
I’m getting a bit neurotic about this Phil!

But water,  molten metal and high voltages at high frequency don’t bode well  :bugeye:

I don’t think I’m out of the woods just yet but this should solve two of the three water sources when I’ve fully sealed the ends of the threshold strip to the shutter frame.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline hermetic

« Reply #567 on: November 22, 2020, 01:16:02 PM »
seeing your three phase overheads reminded me of a visit to a farm many years ago where an ancient old boy in plus fours showed us a problem with his 3 phase mill mixer unit, when it failed to start, and growled, we immediately sussed it was off a phase, but the old boy said "nay lad, thats summat else" grabbed a long peice of wood, wandered outside and began to poke at the line taps on the overheads! when the guy I was with shouted at him to stop, he said "Why its areet as long as't woods dry, otherwise appen thoo'l get a tickle off'n it!" Needless to say we fixed the problem (star delta coil failed on an old Memota side handle starter) and also refitted all the line taps so he didnt get fried!
Phil
Man who says it cannot be done should not disturb man doing it! https://www.youtube.com/user/philhermetic/videos?

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #568 on: November 22, 2020, 01:40:43 PM »
Those overheads feed my 160 amp per phase supply - I reckon they'll get mighty warm at 160 amps - the feeds down the barn wall to the current transformer metering gizzmo are only 6 mm aluminium but they insisted on huge copper meter tails - can't remember the specifics but it was more than 50 mm csa !
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline hermetic

« Reply #569 on: November 22, 2020, 02:56:07 PM »
Well Andrew, if the aluminium evaporates at least its their problem, not yours!
Phil.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #570 on: November 22, 2020, 03:35:08 PM »
Wooden clad barn wall soaked in creosote - I think it could become my problem  :bugeye:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline hermetic

« Reply #571 on: November 23, 2020, 01:13:54 PM »
 :bugeye:

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #572 on: December 03, 2020, 07:33:08 AM »
Leak developments  :ddb:

The other day it was raining but not pouring down, and water was coming in as usual. I went up the ladder and just stared at things to see if any clues jumped out. I was surprised at how much water was running down the face of the main workshop bargeboard.

Cement fibre barge board sits  on a wooden barge board. Water is running down the face of the cement barge board and tracking into the gap between the two. As the wooden barge board penetrates the foundry (due to the sequence of construction of the three buildings) this water is at least one of my leaks.

An application of Cromapol has reduced the problem to just a few drips today but not eliminated it as the gap is too large for it to bridge. When the rain stops I'll squirt some expanding foam in, trim it off and give another coat of Cromapol.

. . . watch this space !

Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #573 on: December 03, 2020, 10:36:02 AM »
I feel your pain, Andrew!  :bang:
Steve

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #574 on: December 03, 2020, 10:37:50 AM »
Well it's all looking pretty promising  :ddb:

It's been raining solidly for the last five hours - not hugely heavily but definitely 'significantly' and I just have one little damp patch. Now it may be that the winds are favourable (hard to tell) but I think I am actually on to the last leg of curing this roof leak  :thumbup:

And even the Roller Shutter seal is working with no rain ingress  - by heck it'll be a big relief if at long last I can move on to actually USING the foundry!

When it all dries up I'll do the squirty foam packing of the barge board gap and slap more Cromapol on . . .and you never know . . .I may be able to move the shelves back under where the leak has been, set out the furnace bodies where they should be, put in the welding blankets to protect the hose cable assemblies and POUR METAL.

Andrew Mawson
East Sussex