Author Topic: X power feed on my Beaver mill  (Read 9393 times)

Offline cozy

X power feed on my Beaver mill
« on: April 07, 2010, 06:23:27 AM »
Nearly finished fitting an "Align" power feed to my Beaver mill. I decided to remove the standard gearbox + motor effort - I only had 2 gears for it, giving me only 2 of the (limited) 4 available speeds.

After removing the feed motor+gearbox, I removed the table end plate...

I measured up and made an adapter shaft, and used it to align the unit over the end plate. This allowed me to mark and drill + tap the mounting holes...

Refitted end plate...

...and adapter shaft...

Fitted unit to end plate...

Brass drive gear moddeed to suit Beaver dimensions...

Dial refitted...

Limit switches and stops fitted...

Now I am waiting to come to a decision about the handle...

1: Shorten shaft and refit standard handle - fixed (watchout for the knuckles) ::)
2: Research clutched handles or handwheels with folding handles.

any ideas welcome!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 08:29:30 PM by cozy »

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
Re: X power feed on my Beaver mill
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 06:30:38 AM »
Very interesting  :thumbup: I see you still have some space in your workshop  :)

You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 08:06:31 PM »
Power feeds rock  :headbang:   :zap:

I'd fit the handle as is, mine spins with the motor and it's no issue at all, it's not like it spins at high RPM.

Very neat job you've done too  :thumbup:

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline kvom

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 09:30:20 AM »
x2 on standard handle.  I've used clutched handles and for me they're a PITA.

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 09:29:00 AM »
Hi cosy, that power feed is looking good, you'll be happy with this for long times. I'm looking at doing something with my "Y" axis.  I've got the x and the z covered, and now it's like the machine knows I don't have the feed on the Y, so it sort of figures out needs for it out of envy I guess.  I agree with kvom, fit the standard handle, you'll use it, and it won't piss you off as a clutched one will.  Sometimes I wish for a handle on the other end, or a folding handle at least, since I took off the original, due to room considerations, but every once in a while I'd like to have it back, the rest of the time I enjoy the extra space.  Good job, this will make all the difference in the world once you get used to it. :headbang: mad jack

Offline cozy

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 03:07:01 AM »
I came to a decision about the handle, (partly as I wanted to just get it finished, and partly as I wanted to use the machine from that end of the table!).
So, I measured up, removed all the feed unit etc, drilled the shaft (taper reamed), re fitted etc...

Made up a quick little collar...

..and then refitted the handle, (and taper reamed the handle+shaft as one), fitted the taper dowel, job done...

Another job ticked off the list!

I can always make up a new shaft, and fit a clutched handle if I change my mind in the future! (I don't think I will be though, as we have clutched handles on the bridgeports at work, and they drive us mad - faffy things which only really work if you stand at the end of the table facing the machine so you can push on them - no good for standing in front of the machine)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 03:11:54 AM by cozy »

Offline LexD

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2019, 08:14:31 PM »
Nice Job Cozy, I am a new member here who also has a Beaver mill VBRP #2. I am very interested in your installation as my machine  had  the original power feed removed when I got it. I will be fitting one of the units soon and would  like to see some of details of your install more closely but the Photobucket pictures are not available, could you repost them if you still have them please.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 07:37:55 PM by LexD »

Online Sea.dog

• Up Spirits!
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2019, 04:35:29 AM »
Hi LexD, that's a 9 year old thread and the OP hadn't been seen on the forum since 2016.

Good luck.

Online russ57

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2019, 09:18:41 PM »
Nearly finished fitting an "Align" power feed to my Beaver mill. I decided to remove the standard gearbox + motor effort - I only had 2 gears for it, giving me only 2 of the (limited) 4 available speeds.

After removing the feed motor+gearbox, I removed the table end plate...

I measured up and made an adapter shaft, and used it to align the unit over the end plate. This allowed me to mark and drill + tap the mounting holes...

Refitted end plate...

...and adapter shaft...

Fitted unit to end plate...

Brass drive gear moddeed to suit Beaver dimensions...

Dial refitted...

Limit switches and stops fitted...

Now I am waiting to come to a decision about the handle...

1: Shorten shaft and refit standard handle - fixed (watchout for the knuckles) ::)
2: Research clutched handles or handwheels with folding handles.

any ideas welcome!
Pictures show for me...

Russ

Online russ57

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2019, 09:19:13 PM »
I came to a decision about the handle, (partly as I wanted to just get it finished, and partly as I wanted to use the machine from that end of the table!).
So, I measured up, removed all the feed unit etc, drilled the shaft (taper reamed), re fitted etc...

Made up a quick little collar...

..and then refitted the handle, (and taper reamed the handle+shaft as one), fitted the taper dowel, job done...

Another job ticked off the list!

I can always make up a new shaft, and fit a clutched handle if I change my mind in the future! (I don't think I will be though, as we have clutched handles on the bridgeports at work, and they drive us mad - faffy things which only really work if you stand at the end of the table facing the machine so you can push on them - no good for standing in front of the machine)
And the other set

Russ

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2019, 02:04:49 AM »
Both original and Russ pictures show very fuzzy to me. Like fuzzied anatomy parts on US news. Really can't make out any details, just outline. Is this another market segement filtering and these pictures show sharp to some folks?

Time for folio hats :D

Pekka

Online russ57

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2019, 02:54:52 AM »
That's odd. Certainly not the highest res photos of all time. I reposted because I saw them via tapatalk and the poster said he couldn't see them at all so I wondered if tapatalk had some magic in place to make up for photobuckets carry on.

Russ

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2019, 03:19:11 AM »
Its Photobucket’s latest nastiness. They are fuzzing photos where people are not paying a premium.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Online russ57

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2019, 03:21:24 AM »
Look ok in tapatalk, I'll see if I can download them

Russ

Offline timby

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2019, 05:03:02 AM »
I can see the photos clearly, I am using the Photobucket fix  recommended in this thread.

https://madmodder.net/index.php/topic,12292.msg148886.html#msg148886

PS.   I am surprised that Photobucket have not watermarked the photos, they have to all the photos in my album.   

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2019, 12:55:51 PM »
I can confirm that the fix linked by timby still works (I just installed the Opera version, and now I can see the pics!)

Would Like, but the button still doesn't work (Hmm, wonder if there's a browser patch for that?  :scratch: :lol:)
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2019, 05:11:39 PM »
Fuzzy with my IPad too.

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2019, 02:44:25 AM »
I can see the photos clearly, I am using the Photobucket fix  recommended in this thread.

https://madmodder.net/index.php/topic,12292.msg148886.html#msg148886

PS.   I am surprised that Photobucket have not watermarked the photos, they have to all the photos in my album.

Thank you. The link on that thread for Firefox didn't work.  "Oops! We can’t find that page"

However searching the key words produced an add-on that worked on these pictures. Comments indicate that it might not work with all pictures. Don't know if it user error or what.

Offline LexD

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2019, 04:23:16 AM »
Thanks for your ideas everyone.

Offline Joules

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2019, 01:58:59 PM »
The Firefox fix works with Linux Mint.   Looking at the photos on an Android phone (Firefox) works, no fix applied.   Thanks, as Pekka said, just look up the new add on.
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.