Author Topic: Racal RA17 re-born : A trip down Memory Lane  (Read 15570 times)

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: Racal RA17 re-born : A trip down Memory Lane
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2019, 08:12:07 AM »
Well I'm pleased to be able to report that the RA218 ISB adaptor has arrived with Ian in Edinburgh direct from the eBay seller who is in Manchester, thus saving bouncing up and down the UK.

Ian tells me that all the rather rare and special glass encapsulated crystals are are still present - they often get pilfered as spares - and we've located replacements for the two circular Plessey connectors on the rear panel that had been replaced by 'chocolate blocks', so some degree of originality can be restored :)

I thought that I'd located a suitable 19" rack  locally to house all this gear but modern racks only seem to take 400 mm front to back depth  behind the panel - the RA17 needs 480 mm :(

Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2019, 01:29:22 PM »
A server rack should do you fine - they're usually 800mm front-to-back, plenty of room for 480mm deep kit.

As an example: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12u-Server-Rack-cabinet-600-W-x-800-D-x-634-H-Glass-Front-Door-Flat-Pack/191869787799
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2019, 05:26:49 PM »
Thanks Ade,

I've looked on line at a few server racks, and the few that give the vital dimension between the front and rear vertical rails all have proved to be no more than 400 mm :(

That one may be deeper I'll ping them a question

Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Pete W.

« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2019, 05:31:04 AM »
Hi there, Andrew,

Should you decide to home-brew a 19" rack, I have an Imhof catalogue somewhere in my filing 'system' that might have any dimensions you need.

My last experience with 19" hardware was complicated by ensuring consistency between the mounting screws and the cage nut - the options were 0 BA, ¼" BSF or M6.  That's the recent 19"-lite, the traditional was 0 BA tapped holes in good old solid mild steel angle.  Imhof must have had a standing order with the tap manufacturers! 
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2019, 10:29:06 AM »
Ian has contacted me today with the good news that he has completed the refurbishment and re-alignment of the RA137A-1 and included his report which I've split into three pages and attach.

It's all looking squeaky clean  :thumbup:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline russ57

« Reply #55 on: June 07, 2019, 05:26:07 AM »
I bought a 19" rack a long time ago. Turned out it had been modified to make it 21" by liberal application of 'very hot' metal glue.

I can't remember now how I removed the weld  to return to a (bolted) 19", but I know I didn't own an angle grinder at the time.

Russ