Author Topic: Rebuilding A Grotty Chicken Shed  (Read 13518 times)

Offline Jo

Re: Rebuilding A Grotty Chicken Shed
« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2018, 10:57:14 AM »
But commercial sheds are creosoted regularly. :med:

I didn't like to mention earlier that that second shed didn't look like it had been annually maintained creosoted  :poke:

Jo
So many engines to build and yet so little time.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2018, 11:45:54 AM »
Nope - it never had a drop of preservative of any kind since the day it was born - poor neglected thing !

It's actually not for housing chicken but rather their feed and it's operation and maintenance for the last 11 years has been on the Distaff  side of the melee  :clap:

Only recently when things have got out of hand I ripped out the rotten fence posts, burnt one chicken house (Hooray!!), rebuilt the silly one on wheels, now rebuilt the feed shed, and no doubt I'll be preparing for re-seeding, fencing, laying paths.  :bang:

. . . how much do Sainsbury's charge for eggs ?
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2018, 01:10:26 PM »

. . . how much do Sainsbury's charge for eggs ?

More than the chickens charge Sainsbury's ..  :scratch:

D.
I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.

Offline hermetic

« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2018, 03:02:41 PM »
I used to make great use of some galv steel in 6x3 sheets, that we used to call "chicken tin" Thin steel, probably .5mm , galv both sides and a light green etch primer on 1 side.used for rat proofing among many other things. you could cut it really easy and nail straight through it. You could do with a bit across the bottom of that door, if you are putting chicken feed in there! I wanted some a few weeks ago, and went to the place I have bought it many years ago, to be told "sorry mate, never eard of it" Thats progress for you!
Phil
Man who says it cannot be done should not disturb man doing it! https://www.youtube.com/user/philhermetic/videos?

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2018, 03:19:50 AM »
I had intended to run some fine mesh expanded zintec that I have (left over from the plasma table rebuild) about 12" high right round the shed but didn't  :bang:

I may bend up a bit of 1.2 mm sheet zintec I have for the bottom of the door.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2018, 02:20:34 PM »
Time to put the first chicken shed back in the chicken run, but first needed to level a spot and lay some flagstones to keep it's feet dry. (Been waiting for a replacement fuel sedimenter bowl for the JCB which came this morning)

Had to shift the shed off the hard standing outside the workshop, as the custom curved roof sheets for the Portakabin are threatened to be delivered on Monday

Halfway through Gary phoned up saying he had 20 tons of superb top soil to dispose of - so that was a bit of a diversion !

Anyway - done now - just needs fencing

Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline JD

• Gosport Hampshire UK
« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2018, 06:14:23 PM »
Andrew
Not only fried bacon. now the eggs as well  :lol:  :beer:. Could you find a warm spot behind a shed/workshop/barn you might get some mushrooms. Mmmmmmm :ddb:  :ddb:
JD
If you cant fix it hit it with a bigger hammer

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2018, 02:35:27 AM »
The creosote is to STOP the mushrooms growing  :lol:

A friend gave us a motley collection of fertile chicken eggs, she keeps exotics and they are odd greens and blues. They've been in the incubator for a while now, and the first chick started pecking its way out yesterday.

In my experience somehow you seem to get 75% cockerels from a clutch of eggs ! We will buy a load of 'point of lay' chicken when the run has been fenced.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2018, 10:08:55 AM »
So this morning revealed four hatched chicks and another on the way out. At the time of writing we have six. :thumbup:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex