Author Topic: Rebirth of a Denford MIRAC CNC Lathe  (Read 31508 times)

Offline hermetic

Re: Rebirth of a Denford MIRAC CNC Lathe
« Reply #125 on: March 25, 2018, 03:13:08 PM »
Had one of those dispensers on my workshop wall in the seventies, it had masking tape as well, and as you pulled the paper off, it applied the tape to the paper. Very quick when it worked right, and a bugger when it didnt, you needed to use good quality masking tape!
Man who says it cannot be done should not disturb man doing it! https://www.youtube.com/user/philhermetic/videos?

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #126 on: March 25, 2018, 04:04:02 PM »
If in doubt, use more glue...... :lol:  :beer:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #127 on: March 25, 2018, 04:05:54 PM »
btw, I'm guessing that's acrylic.

Nice having a see through reservoir, for obvious reasons.  :thumbup:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #128 on: March 25, 2018, 04:09:43 PM »
Well Steve, yes it probably is.

As the MIRAC is still waiting for a coat or two of white paint I've not refitted the reservoir, which is still sitting as per the photo next to the workshop coffee making area AND IT'S NOT LEAKED  :ddb:

Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #129 on: March 26, 2018, 07:44:21 AM »
I set too masking up the MIRAC this morning - outside is fine but the interior was a pitta  :bugeye:

However the paper dispenser came into its own - would have been tricky without it.

... then the big decision - spray indoors and get overspray over the rest of the workshop, or wheel it outdoors where if the wind picks up I'll lose the paper masking and insects can be an issue. Well it's a dry day with the sun shining and only a light breeze so I pushed it outside.

On the overspray issue, I'm using a 'detailing gun' and actually the overspray is fairly minimal though still there.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #130 on: March 26, 2018, 07:47:10 AM »
So out she went and got the first coat - next one due in 24 hours so she's back inside until then.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline DaveS

« Reply #131 on: March 26, 2018, 08:49:10 AM »
Looking very good, and being outside it even looks bigger, must be the white  :D  :bugeye:

Finish looks as smooth as Powder Coating  :update:

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #132 on: March 26, 2018, 11:19:24 AM »
It'll be better with a second coat to be honest Dave.

So what do you do while paint is drying . . . . .sand blast and spray black the door slider rails, and have a go at finishing off the label for the Button Panel.

This I do by spraying the reverse of the polycarbonate panel in black, then reverse engraving the text using the  CNC laser engraver. It hasn't come out good enough to use on this occasion for two reasons. Firstly I didn't leave the paint long enough and the white infill has reacted with the black background. Secondly I did the engraving at slightly too high a power setting and the front face is distorted.

Never mind, that the good thing about CNC - tweak the commands and do it again, you only need to alter the bits that were wrong rather than the entire gizmo.  :thumbup:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #133 on: March 26, 2018, 02:38:20 PM »

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #134 on: March 27, 2018, 03:22:36 AM »
Raining today, so the second coat has had to go on indoors. Dust sheets everywhere !

First coat went on rather dry and didn't all blend so I used a bit more thinners this time, and of course went the other way and got a couple of runs   :bang: They'll be cut off with a razor when dry and touched in with a small roller.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 04:20:12 AM by awemawson »
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #135 on: March 27, 2018, 05:27:34 AM »
I need the paint to be good and hard before I shave the runs, and also before re-assembly. So I've set up a 4kW fan heater to bake it now it is touch dry.

Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline hermetic

« Reply #136 on: March 27, 2018, 02:08:08 PM »
Runs on paint is a bore, and I am painting a Ford KA tomorrow, so I will be careful, but the guy who taught me to spray always carried a clean 1/2 brush in his top pocket, and would brush the runs away, just to get rid of the bulk and speed the through drying of the paint so it could be flatted quicker. This avoids the sinking feeling in the pit of the stomach when one realises that the run you have just attacked with the wet and dry is now a smear of semi solid paint, and you have pulled it back to the primer! start again time!! Luckily the KA is basecoat and lacquer, so  build up solid colour, then lacquer it all to a finish! This job has reminded me why I gave up car repairs in about 1982!
Man who says it cannot be done should not disturb man doing it! https://www.youtube.com/user/philhermetic/videos?

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #137 on: March 28, 2018, 05:12:56 AM »
Made a few alterations to the Button Panel Label and re-did it producing a more satisfactory result.

a/ I changed the font to Ariel Black

b/ I removed the black paint by scanning with the laser rather than doing a light cut to eliminate the 'two line' effect

c/ I filled the lettering with water  based emulsion paint as I found that the white acrylic I'd been using was dissolving the black surrounding the letters

I think this one will pass muster  :thumbup:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline russ57

« Reply #138 on: March 29, 2018, 05:55:45 AM »
Made a few alterations to the Button Panel Label and re-did it producing a more satisfactory result.

a/ I changed the font to Ariel Black

b/ I removed the black paint by scanning with the laser rather than doing a light cut to eliminate the 'two line' effect

c/ I filled the lettering with water  based emulsion paint as I found that the white acrylic I'd been using was dissolving the black surrounding the letters

I think this one will pass muster 

Russ

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #139 on: March 29, 2018, 02:38:25 PM »
Not much done today as a couple off additions to the livestock were due - a pair of Berkshire weaners - well actually three were due but the breeder made a c....up  :bang: Never mind he's making good the numbers with a Saddleback weaner on Wednesday   :thumbup:

However I did find time to strip off the masking paper, make good and hand touch up a bit of (expected) damage to the black paint, and re-fit the control button panel and the control keyboard.

Can't really do much more as an expected delivery of screws hasn't materialised - nor will it with the Bank Holiday for a few days, but probably a 'good thing' as the paint is still a bit delicate and it'll force me to be patient. (never easy!)
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #140 on: March 30, 2018, 10:36:21 AM »
As I'm held up for a bolt delivery I decided to re-run the coolant pipe as the original is old and brittle.

Obviously this starts at the coolant pump, snakes through the body of the machine and terminates on a block bolted to the spindle panel. Now when I dismantled this it was evident that one of the bolts had been cross threaded and inserted at a rather jaunty angle. So firstly I re-tapped the block. I imagine that originally the block was offered up after the spindle panel was mounted, and the cap screw inserted on a long driver, hence the cross threading. So I decided to bolt it on first and loosely fit the panel until the bolts arrive.

Didn't quite go that way, as the panel and rear protuberances from the block need to be fully seated before a little protection panel (that protect the button panel wiring) would fit on. So the Spindle panel was pushed fully home and given a single screw to hold it in place.

Having got the coolant pipe done there was nothing stopping me re-plumbing the lubrication pump, so this was next on the agenda.

Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #141 on: April 06, 2018, 12:27:29 PM »
At long last the screws that I had on order materialised and I could put the lathe back together. All went reasonably well, not too many paint chips to touch up.

Glazing the Tailstock end window was a bit of a struggle, and there was a bit of paint damage when I'd finished, but I got there in the end  :thumbup:

Having re-set the rails that the door slides on it was necessary to first do a trial fit and make sure it still slides ok - which it did.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #142 on: April 06, 2018, 12:31:42 PM »
Then it was just a case of plodding on fixing internal and external panels, interior light etc..

A quick run through of the M6 bolt program proved it still works  :lol:

So that's just about that - just got a little retainer clip to fit to prevent the door being lifted off

. . . remember how it was? . . see the last picture
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline hermetic

« Reply #143 on: April 06, 2018, 01:50:03 PM »
Another cracking save Andrew!!, it really looks the part now. So, what are you going to make with it, and when is the video release date?
Phil.

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #144 on: April 06, 2018, 01:58:39 PM »
Another great transformation thanks for posting it is always a pleasure to follow along!

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #145 on: April 06, 2018, 02:14:21 PM »
Thanks for the kind words chaps :thumbup:

Not sure of it's future. The 25 mm spindle bore makes it a bit limiting for some things so I suppose if something a bit more meaty turns up I'll pass it on, but at the moment, as it can easily be pushed into a corner when not in use I'll hang on to to, (unless someone offers silly money for it - unlikely as I'm not advertising it!)

It's been an interesting exercise and has convinced me that I need to investigate setting up to spray 2K paints - waiting for coach paints to harden is boring !!!!
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline JerryNotts

« Reply #146 on: April 07, 2018, 03:43:34 AM »
Great refurb. When you started thei project I wondered why you had acquired this small machine, but now its finished you must have been able to see beyond the cr...y state to what lay hidden beneath.
Jerry

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #147 on: April 07, 2018, 03:57:04 AM »
Jerry, it's what floats my boat - trying to make silk purses out of sows ears . . . .

. . . . just remember, inside every lump of rusty metal is a shiny new part waiting to emerge  :lol:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #148 on: April 07, 2018, 06:11:48 AM »
Of course these things are actually NEVER finished. It wasn't until the postman delivered a long thin parcel this morning that I remembered that I hadn't replaced the door wiper strip - another long awaited delivery  :bang:

A bit fiddly to fit as not quite the same size as the original, and the two smaller bits had to have a bit of a hair cut to allow the door to slide reasonably freely - but now fitted.

. . . .so perhaps NOW it's finished  :scratch:

But then - I need to decide what to do with that opening where the original (tiny) monitor was fitted - a door - a drawer - perhaps a cuckoo clock that pops out at the end of a job like the flashing "Cycle Finished" lights some CNC machines have  :lol:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline nrml

« Reply #149 on: April 07, 2018, 02:15:02 PM »
Yet another excellent restoration thread :clap:. Not quite in the same league as the Traub restoration but still very entertaining and educational. You sir are a real inspiration to us all :thumbup:.
Is the tool changer going to get a tear down and re-grease at some point in the future? It sounded a bit noisy in one of the earlier videos. Has that resolved ?