Author Topic: Bass Guitar  (Read 3586 times)

Offline dvbydt

Bass Guitar
« on: December 04, 2017, 12:22:59 PM »
This project started with my Grandson and and I building a ukulele from a kit. OK for a while but it is a teenage thing - onward and upward, he bought a "Cherrystone" DIY bass kit from Amazon. We managed to put it together, no real problems. It only had a volume and a tone control, a sort of treble cut, not really good enough.
I found on,  AliExpress, a bass guitar preamp kit. So the pickguard had to come off  and holes drilled for the five variable resistance pots and a rotary on/off switch to be fitted. Space also had then to be carved in the body for the amplifier module and the pots.

A trial assembly produced lots of HUM :(. All the pot leads were coloured and photographed ,unsoldered and copper braiding used to cover the wires. The braiding was joined at one end only to a common earth point (shades of solving DIY  CNC wiring problems!) No HUM :D.
More carving of the back of the body to fit the nine volt battery box and the deed was done.

He is now a happy bunny with a real cool guitar and has learned some soldering and woodworking skills.

I have put a 30 seconds video up on YouTube if you want to hear it play and no that is not me!

Ian

« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 07:50:34 PM by Brass_Machine »

Offline hermetic

Re: Bass Guitar
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 04:08:29 PM »
Oh yeah, the boy can play!
Man who says it cannot be done should not disturb man doing it! https://www.youtube.com/user/philhermetic/videos?

Offline dvbydt

Re: Bass Guitar
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 03:54:21 PM »
hermetic
Thanks for that, yes, we brainwashed him a bit playing "Dire Straits" CDs in the car when he was younger. His present enthusiasm is self generated.

Ian