Author Topic: Herbert Tudor chuck dis assembly  (Read 3637 times)

Offline howsitwork?

Herbert Tudor chuck dis assembly
« on: October 14, 2017, 06:35:33 PM »
Guys just acquired an Alfred Herbert TUDOR 6” chuck. Limited jaw movement of about 1/4 inch. Have started basic clean up , I suspect it had been used  in a grinding environment as loads of fine dust and metal particles in the jaws slides.
The jaws have a serrated base held onto the carriers by t nuts and cap head bolts. The cap heads are 5/16whit however the oiling holes around the outside are definitely a finer thread. The seem to be 3/8 but no clue as to tip ??? Anyone got any ideas??? I’ve tried google search and a few other references to no avail.
To disassemble you remove several face mounted cap heads and go in from the front face as it where. Ideally before going in I want an assembly diagram . Seems a nice chuck and I have a back plate to make for it ( retained by 3/8 uni bolts according to a note on it ).

Regards ian

Offline Pete W.

Re: Herbert Tudor chuck dis assembly
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 10:00:53 AM »
Hi there, Ian,

Just a suggestion but might the oiler hole tappings be BSP?

Regarding the back-plate being 3/8" Uni, is it the chuck body or the back-plate whose holes are tapped?  Remembering that Whitworth threads are 55 degrees and Uni threads are 60 degrees, I think it unlikely that the chuck body tappings would be a mixture of BSW/BSF and Uni.  (From memory, some sizes of Whit and Uni share the same TPI.) 
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Offline Pete.

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 10:14:57 AM »
If you're having trouble splitting it get some longer 5/16" whitworth bolts and fit them in the holes, then go around tapping them in with a hammer until you drift the back end off the front.

Offline howsitwork?

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 05:07:01 PM »
Thanks guys.

The thread for the back plate should,read UNC not uni (autocorrect on the iPad)

I haven’t tried splitting it yet as I really wanted a breakdown diagram first . It’s quite a good arrangement of the jaws as the slides cannot extend beyond the body yet you can alter the jaw attachment to the t nut jaw slides so the jaws can.

The body effectively forms a “can” around the workings. The backplate attaches to a recess in the rear of that can .

Ian

Offline howsitwork?

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 05:32:52 PM »
Definately getting more challenging! Using blu tack I have checked for tip and I. Make it 22 tip, not the 24 tip which I was expecting. Hole diameter is 370thou ish so pretty sure wer’re talking a 3/8 bolt here. I shalla take it to my local oracle this weekend to try his extensive selection of taps until we find the truth !
Pictures will follow , after more cleaning of chuck.

RegardsIan