Author Topic: DDCSV1.1 4 Axis controller  (Read 438667 times)

Offline dale brisson

Re: DDCSV1.1 4 Axis controller
« Reply #825 on: January 13, 2018, 04:21:53 PM »
Hi Guys,

when running gcode on my machine I have this really werid issue where there is a significant deviation in the actual position(as well as the position it shows on the display) and the position it should be according to the gcode.

im trying to mill a vacuumtable, which is basically a milling grid pattern where i step down 0.1mm for each level.
Fusion360 generated the gcode for this project.

I noticed that (it seems to be in all axes) the z-axis has this weird difference. for example: the gcode tells the machine it should go to -0.8mm on the Z-axis, but it actually only goes down 0.774mm. After moving up and to a new spot it moves moves down again. This time its also different from the previous value. This might be something i would expect from (failing?)backlash settings, but these are all disabled and set to 0.

So essentially the machine starts and moves to a xy coordinate, then it moves down (gcode Z-0.8) to -0.7xx. When it moves up again to its safe position and comes back down the z-depth is no longer the same as previous, even though this depth was already wrong.

When telling the controller to move to a certain z-heigth from the display itsself it does indeed move to exactly that position....

Anyone got any ideas what is causing this?

im getting the same thing with f-360 tried 100 times no luck..one thing with fusion is the if you do not have smoothing on it will do that as it thinks you doing another pass .. the only thing i found that works is estlcam . we need a better post processor  what is everyone using ?

Offline PK

« Reply #826 on: January 13, 2018, 11:13:04 PM »
How many steps per mm do you have configured?
The controller (any controller) can only move a minimum of one step. So, if a step is 0.049mm and you command a move of 5mm then it's only going to move 4.998mm...
Could this be what you are seeing?

PK

Offline dale brisson

« Reply #827 on: January 14, 2018, 05:20:52 PM »
i know there is the new firmware that is made ..haven't tried it .. but was wondering if it can be programed to run grbl ? estlcam have a few good things going for it as you can prob the whole workpiece incase your higher or lower in some spots.. can it be done?

Offline PK

« Reply #828 on: January 15, 2018, 04:26:01 AM »
Homing dual motor axii.
So we're about to commission a machine using one of these controllers and we have an axii driven by two motors.

Is there support for homing in this configuration?

We have some other options like using the home switch to kill step pulses to one of the drives whilst the direction is towards the sensor, but it'd be nice if the controller supported the configuration directly.

Many thanks for all the work done so far on this project. It's a fantastic enabler for machine builders.

Offline lordprimoz

« Reply #829 on: January 15, 2018, 07:03:23 AM »
The controller (any controller) can only move a minimum of one step. So, if a step is 0.049mm and you command a move of 5mm then it's only going to move 4.998mm...

PK

I have it set to 640steps per mm on both the x and the y axes. The z axis is at 1066.667. ( i also tried with 1067, no luck).

I wouldnt mind a few thousands offset because the controller cant handle that. But as i mentioned before, this is several tenths, and variable as well.

The gcode file seems to be fine. Just the controller not doing what its told by gcode.

Offline Will_D

• National Homebrew Club of Ireland
« Reply #830 on: January 16, 2018, 08:20:50 AM »

PK

I have it set to 640steps per mm on both the x and the y axes. The z axis is at 1066.667. ( i also tried with 1067, no luck).

I wouldnt mind a few thousands offset because the controller cant handle that. But as i mentioned before, this is several tenths, and variable as well.

The gcode file seems to be fine. Just the controller not doing what its told by gcode.

I have just set up my X and Y steppers (metric 2 and 4 mm pitch) and was not getting the expecetd results. Different Overshoot and Undershoot at different places on the ball screws! :bugeye:

Turns out that the gibs were way too tight. Slackened off and set properly as expecected  :thumbup:

Now the Z axis screw is imperial (0.2" pitch") did the calcs and plugged in the values (1600 steps / rev so 314.961 Steps /mm) - result;m Rubbish could not get it too work.

Thenn it dawned on me - I had reconnected the lifgt spring! disconnected it and checked the gibs for correct tightness, tweaked the its backlash and it is now withing 5 microns in 30 mm.

I am very happy
Engineer and Chemist to the NHC.ie
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/forum/

Offline merc

« Reply #831 on: January 17, 2018, 03:56:15 AM »
:update:
Here's the latest version of Pandora for DDCSV1.1 and RMHV2.1:
http://dl.pandora-cnc.eu/firmware/bleeding/Pandora-20180106.zip

It's not yet tested and therefore I can't claim it is stable. Testing is very welcome.
I have decreased the minimum steps per mm and increased the maximum steps per mm.
Also inch accuracy should be fixed with this version as well. Again, this should be tested.

Best regards,
Benedikt

Hi! I updated to the latest firmware, but still have a problem.
Its in the post https://madmodder.net/index.php/topic,11598.msg147711.html#msg147711
Any ideas how to fix this?

Offline dale brisson

« Reply #832 on: January 21, 2018, 09:51:02 AM »
ok lets see if i get a response to this question ( since no one like to share input)..to any questions i ask
mode 1 mode 2 for probe  fixed position 
is there a way to set my z0x0y0 as my probe fixed position ?
i want to build a tool height sensor  where it will go to 000 probe new tool continue cutting or something in that nature ?

Offline WeldingRod

« Reply #833 on: January 21, 2018, 02:09:18 PM »
ok lets see if i get a response to this question ( since no one like to share input)..to any questions i ask
mode 1 mode 2 for probe  fixed position 
is there a way to set my z0x0y0 as my probe fixed position ?
i want to build a tool height sensor  where it will go to 000 probe new tool continue cutting or something in that nature ?
Dale,
I've though about that too.  As far as I understand (based on reading, since I haven't probed anything yet), the probe operation simply happens wherever the spindle is.  So, if your gcode zeros, then probes, you should be ready to cut.
Regards,
Rod

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Offline dale brisson

« Reply #834 on: January 21, 2018, 02:19:07 PM »
i did kinda find a way but still work in progress i set as
mode2  fixed position  .
i set 0 random  on the table then hit probe the big issue is that the z will go down first to the probe height then y and x will fallow  my 000xyz is at the back of the table and i wanted the probe at one corner at front of table.. so if there's (example)aluminum at g54 g55 where ever on the table where i want my start point to be. the z will crash then go the the fixed spot and slowly move.( i think i said this right bare with me here) still new to the game

Offline WeldingRod

« Reply #835 on: January 21, 2018, 10:24:22 PM »
There is a setting in there for where to probe.  You probably want "current".

I finally got limit switches hooked up!  I'm trying to home with the hard limit switches, which might be a bad idea...
When I home the axis it goes the way I want it to go and homes, THEN it runs off and tags the OTHER limit.  That sounds like your problem.  Is there a setting to stop this?
I'm tempted to try hooking the hard limit to the home switch inputs to see what happens.  And also try just wiring the home switch inputs.

Offline dale brisson

« Reply #836 on: January 23, 2018, 01:27:55 PM »
anyone got the 4th axis running? i dont know how to figure it all out.looking for info
driver is set to 1600 200 steps on motor 6:1 gearing  how do i set pulse/degree and is there anything else i have to change in the ddcsv? :bang:

Offline philf

« Reply #837 on: January 23, 2018, 01:32:53 PM »
anyone got the 4th axis running? i dont know how to figure it all out.looking for info
driver is set to 1600 200 steps on motor 6:1 gearing  how do i set pulse/degree and is there anything else i have to change in the ddcsv? :bang:

(1,600 * 6)/360 = 26.6666666........................

Phil
Phil Fern

Offline WeldingRod

« Reply #838 on: January 23, 2018, 02:16:01 PM »

(1,600 * 6)/360 = 26.6666666........................

Phil
You need to enable it.  The other big thing is you need to set the "log radius" to something where you don't loose steps.
I have one running.  Almost ready to cut on it.

Offline dale brisson

« Reply #839 on: January 23, 2018, 03:40:53 PM »

never mind got it  when setting the pulse ddcsv will not allow you to go under 00050.00 so had to up the driver microsteps

Offline WeldingRod

« Reply #840 on: January 23, 2018, 03:42:18 PM »

never mind got it  when setting the pulse ddcsv will not allow you to go under 00050.00 so had to up the driver microsteps
Pandora fixed this, or I can tell you how to do it manually.

Offline dale brisson

« Reply #841 on: January 23, 2018, 04:20:35 PM »
please tell me PLEASE
also is the 4th axis work with all others axis  or does it replace x/y axis as a wrapped job so say my 4th is on my y will my y still run or all at the same time? i hope i asked this right

Offline WeldingRod

« Reply #842 on: January 23, 2018, 05:33:06 PM »
please tell me PLEASE
also is the 4th axis work with all others axis  or does it replace x/y axis as a wrapped job so say my 4th is on my y will my y still run or all at the same time? i hope i asked this right
As long as you have the 4 axis version, you have 4 completely separate motion controls.  I have verified that I can get simultaneous , coordinated motion on all four axies.

Offline dale brisson

« Reply #843 on: January 23, 2018, 05:37:16 PM »
please tell me PLEASE
As long as you have the 4 axis version, you have 4 completely separate motion controls.  I have verified that I can get simultaneous , coordinated motion on all four axies.

im playing around with the cam side right now looking around on what to use . as i have a few different softwares. on thing i really wish this unit had was a better probe functions or some sort of auto z where it can adjust the height to the workpiece i know grbl can and estlcam but will not work with the ddcsv .. i might end up going with massco all in one 

Offline WeldingRod

« Reply #844 on: January 23, 2018, 06:01:45 PM »
please tell me PLEASE

im playing around with the cam side right now looking around on what to use . as i have a few different softwares. on thing i really wish this unit had was a better probe functions or some sort of auto z where it can adjust the height to the workpiece i know grbl can and estlcam but will not work with the ddcsv .. i might end up going with massco all in one
Probing DOES work, btw.  I tried it today for the first time.

Offline dale brisson

« Reply #845 on: January 23, 2018, 06:14:42 PM »
please tell me PLEASE

Probing DOES work, btw.  I tried it today for the first time.

yes i know it works  i have used it  but im trying to figure out how to probe the whole work piece  for hi or low spots 

Offline Nicolas Hulme

• What's this for?
« Reply #846 on: January 24, 2018, 02:31:42 PM »

Do you have a tool changer?
I ask because I run a little CNC mill without a tool changer or probe and I don't find it any bother to set a job up, it could be that I come from a conventional machining background but I'm intrigued.
You may find some very good tricks and techniques from commercial machinists which reduce the strife you must surely be suffering, ;-)
No list of equipment, it wouldn't fit ;-)

Offline NormanV

• United Kingdom
« Reply #847 on: January 24, 2018, 04:41:44 PM »
I am going to jump in with both feet. I have never looked at any messages on this thread, it looks so boring to me. I often wonder what is so interesting to other people. Can somebody tell a newcomer why so many people have replied to this?

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #848 on: January 24, 2018, 05:03:04 PM »
Norman, I think the appeal is a cheap and configurable CNC controller that allows folks an affordable way into controlling a range of machines without very much hardware construction.  Quite a lot simpler than setting up some of the 'professional' controller and s fraction of the cost.

Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline WeldingRod

« Reply #849 on: January 24, 2018, 06:17:52 PM »
I am going to jump in with both feet. I have never looked at any messages on this thread, it looks so boring to me. I often wonder what is so interesting to other people. Can somebody tell a newcomer why so many people have replied to this?
In the 3D printing world, we transitioned from computer-tied printers 10 years ago, with very cheap user interfaces.  The cnc world is STILL 99% computer tied.  These controllers are pretty cheap, and allow you to run all the normal cnc setup functions and run gcode programs.
Yes, the instructions are terrible, and they are kind of weird acting, BUT there are no windows crashes!