Author Topic: Broken Dremel drill press  (Read 3852 times)

Offline Pete49

Broken Dremel drill press
« on: January 31, 2016, 01:36:20 AM »
Well today I had a breakage.... The gear on the Dremel drill press broke and as I use it a lot for small work and for scrollsaw holes I thought I would get a replacement gear..... :bang: nope sorry you have to buy the whole unit.  :bugeye: Next question is.... has anybody with 3D drawing ability have one that  they could draw up for me and save as a .STL file so I can print it out? It seems a waste of a good tool to just throw it away. I made an attempt to repair the gear but the shed goblins have taken bits away so I'm in a bit of a pickle. I'm more annoyed by the fact its the main part of the press and being ABS plastic it was bound to break sooner or later and they don't have it available as a spare part.
Cheers
Pete
oops..........oh no.........blast now I need to redo it

Offline Joules

Re: Broken Dremel drill press
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 05:10:18 AM »
Pete, throw up a picture of the Dremel press and see if it's same as mine.  If so, see what I can do.
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

Offline Joules

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2016, 06:45:36 AM »
As usual, curiosity got the better of me.  Couldn't find anyone else had made a gear (Dremel Work Station) for the drill press.  So dismantled mine, huh doesn't look so bad....  Then tried to push gear off shaft it was on !!!   Won't budge by hand, arbour press with 10t hydraulic in reserve.

Success, kind of...   Dremel in their wisdom mould the gear onto the shaft, see the white plastic left on the shaft recesses.  They have a nice return spring for the gear, but its pickup is tiny and even on the nylon gear I have here it's showing signs of stress.  For a printed gear I would add some bulk to the boss here for strength.  Maybe get another mm of radius and fillet at the spring notch.

Since the gear is on a round rack, the gear teeth can be strengthened by making them follow the rack bar more closely, than being square cut as they are.  I could also get a bit of radius at the tooth root which would help strengthen a printed gear.

As my gear is nylon I am starting to think we don't have the same drill press, so I will post this as a how too, re engineer a gear for 3D printing if thats OK Pete.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 07:14:19 AM by Joules »

Offline Pete49

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 10:41:38 PM »
Mate go for it I'm sure others are looking for a fix as well. I printed it out last night making it reasonably heavy duty and fitted it this morning and works like a bought one  :D. Joules I believe  why they are no longer available is because they now mould it to the shaft....throw away society attitude. Thanks again for the help
Pete
oops..........oh no.........blast now I need to redo it

Offline Joules

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 11:17:54 PM »
That's great news Pete, I purposely didn't print a gear to see if I could fabricate a design based just on pictures and measurements that would work.  I will now print a gear of my own to store with the Dremel parts here.