Author Topic: Repurposing hog feedlot panels  (Read 3767 times)

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
Repurposing hog feedlot panels
« on: November 09, 2015, 05:11:40 PM »
I'm a certified feral cat trap,neuter and release person. Most times they can be caught with the have-a-heart style traps. But you run into some that have a respect for that style traps. So a drop box trap is used also it is used for mama and kittens so you can get them all at once around the food dish. Well we have had a street smart feral I call Fast Freddie, he has been living in our yard mostly for two years. He will not go near the other style traps.
The drop box traps cost about $200.00. Neither myself or the cat rescue I help out wants to spend that kind of money for something that may sit for long periods between use.

I first was told to use the small animal cage roll fencing, but the problem is it is to flimsy for adult male ferals, even though they won't be in it long. While going thru the tractor supply web site. I found the hog fence panels. http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/feedlot-panel-hog-16-ft-l-x-34-in-h?cm_vc=-10005
The 11 line wires (horizontal) are 5 gauge
The stay wires (vertical) are 4 gauge and are spaced 8 in. apart
Main reason in choosing this panel was cost and
This Feedlot Panel won't break down or collapse when cattle, pigs, sheep or other large livestock run into or rub against it.

Since I plan on making this trap a fold flat for storage I plan on using either hog rings or J panel clips pictures later.

Here are the end and side panel with the top, Cut out of one 16'x24" panel with some sections left over.

I placed the left overs on the deck of my tandem axle flat bed. that's when another use came to mind.

They will make great fillers for the trailers side walls, instead of the heavy gauge expanded metal mesh @ $190.00 a sheet last time i bought some, I use the roll flattened kind no sharp edges.
At around $23.00 a panel the hog panels will work and way cheaper. You can use plywood but that has it own set of problems.
The great thing about the feedlot panels is there are two spacing's on each panel of the wire. There is also other heights on panels for what you need. I will add more pic's as it comes together.
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen