Author Topic: ed lights for mill,,  (Read 22216 times)

Offline stirling lad

• Stirling Scotland
ed lights for mill,,
« on: February 12, 2015, 10:16:52 PM »
I finally got around to fitting some of those LED lights to the mill ,,and I have to say I'm well pleased with how they work,,and they were very easy to do... I'm sure i've told you all previously that electrickery makes me bum squeak sumfing awful :zap:
but this was really straight forward to do,, i just read up on ebay about different strengths of lights and what power connector i'd need.. even after i'd ordered the stuff i decided to put an on/off switch somewhere along the power feed cable and even that came ready made,, i just had to plug it inbetween the leds and the power adaptor,The correct male/female jack plugs were already on it..
I used a idea I got from S/D David but instead of using a dog bowl for a shade like he did, i used the lid from a ss tea/coffee storage tin,, luckily the one I had happened to have a perspex centre which made it simple to cut on the lathe,,here's some photo's...

so thats me done the spindle rev counter mod, then the gas strut mod- and now the built-in lighting mod, and it's all thanks to you guys for passing on your knowledge and dishing out encouragement when it's needed..... thanks gents...

I just have to suss out some way  to kit it out now with a reasonable DRO system and i'll finally have a decent mill,,,
Oh no!!! if I do that  I'll then have to finally start to build the Wyvern or Centuar castings that are living under my bench... it'll be a shame when i screw them up... :( :palm: :doh:,, but that disaster can keep until some point in the future...
...Mike...

Offline dawesy

Re: ed lights for mill,,
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 12:20:22 AM »
Very nice. Good idea that. Puts the light right where it's needed.
Lee.
wishing my workshop was larger :(

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 03:55:58 AM »
Nicely done Mike!  :clap: :clap:

The lights...... Are they a strip length, not an angel eyes circle?  :scratch:

Never thought of that!  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline chipenter

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 04:07:32 AM »
same idea different way cut into short lenths and wired at joines , stuck onto a piece of plastic held on with cable ties .
Jeff

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 04:17:33 AM »
Nice one Jeff!  :clap: :clap:

This is my, 3yr old version.........

I feel a Modderfication, coming on........  :mmr:

David D
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 05:53:00 AM by Stilldrillin »
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline chipenter

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 04:28:10 AM »
I did try wrapping a lenght round a piece of plastic water pipe but it took up to mutch room .
Jeff

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 04:44:45 AM »
Same stuff wrapped around a 6mm rod and pushed into a 20mm o/d polycarbonate tube with end plugs to make coolant proof:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline stirling lad

• Stirling Scotland
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2015, 04:22:25 PM »

David,, its just a strip the same as Jeff has used, mostly sold in 5m lengths but i found someone on ebay selling a 1m length,,,it was much the same price as the 5m but i've enough junk lying around thats supposed to ''come in handy one day'' they come in 3  sizes from what I could see, so i went for the middle ones,,...cheap as chips though,,  The strip, the power adaptor and an on/off switch for well under £10,, it involved 2 screws 2 jack plugs then plug it in.... job done...if only all electrical bamboozallry was that easy.. :scratch:

...mike...

Offline dawesy

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2015, 09:28:01 PM »
It's very good stuff. I have some left over from the kitchen that I've replaced the boot light with in my MR2. It's like daylight in there at night.
Lee.

Offline steampunkpete

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2015, 07:08:03 AM »
I feel a Modderfication, coming on.

Mr too, great idea.

Offline steampunkpete

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2015, 07:12:06 AM »
I've replaced the boot light with in my MR2. It's like daylight in there at night.

Very worrying:
Firstly I know how small the MR2 boot is as my son has a MkI, so how do you get in the boot to find out how bright it is? How do you sleep in there with the light on?
Secondly, the light is supposed to go out when you close the lid!

:Doh:

Offline dawesy

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2015, 01:23:55 PM »
Haha. I meant with the boot open ;)
I've attached it to the inside of the lid and connected to the std boot light.
Lee.

Offline Colh

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2015, 06:19:40 PM »
Hi Mike

These LED strips are making life so much easier and safer.

Did you do a post on the gas strut mod?  I have been thinking of using either gas strut or weight/pulley to balance the head on my Emco FB2 Mill.

thanks

Col
Location - Geelong, Victoria, Aus

Offline velocette

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2015, 10:14:07 PM »
Hi Mike
You have convinced me to order LED lights today for my X2 mill.
 Quick note to Col
Automotive type gas strut 24 kgs load 255 stroke and ditch the spring loaded quadrant or counter weight and bicycle roller chain you will not regret.
Apologies Mike for the intrusion.

Eric   

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2015, 02:28:08 PM »
Love the idea as well as the sackboy model makes me think we need a easily obtainable model we can add to pics for perspective as well as fun  :D
Turns out this life c**p is just one big distraction from death but a good one. For the love of god dont give yourself time to think.
https://myshedblog.wordpress.com/

Offline stirling lad

• Stirling Scotland
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2015, 03:46:36 PM »

''Sackboy'' So thats who he is!...I'd no idea, :scratch: he just appeared in my workshop one day looking a bit annoyed about something so i though it best to just let him hang around and calm down... :med:

...M...
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 04:37:32 PM by stirling lad »

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2015, 04:25:28 PM »
He is from littlebigplanet on the playstation.
Turns out this life c**p is just one big distraction from death but a good one. For the love of god dont give yourself time to think.
https://myshedblog.wordpress.com/

Offline stirling lad

• Stirling Scotland
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2015, 04:41:08 PM »
 ahh, I thought he was something from a Tim Burton film,like nightmare before Christmas or something..

Col,  I have'nt done a mod  thread on the gas strut but there's  a lot of them out there,,  find out how much your mills head weighs then check ebay or wherever for a strut that'll lift that weight,, strut power is measured in Newtons,(N)..  ten N = 1Lb ..my mills head weighs around 15 Lb so i need to change my strut to one with a  rating of 150N  or maybe slightly more to give it a natural uplifting  motion ...The over-all (extended) length of the strut for my mill is 20", I've no Idea what length it needs to be for your mill.   Is'nt there a forum for that mill type owners?.   The strut I have on it is way to strong at 300N and rolls the head back up when I take the lock off when its on the drill press handwheel.  Its good when its on fine feed, it makes lifting the cutter from the job very easy using the fine feed knob, but I think I need to change it soon as it'll wear parts away very quickly..I have another strut ready to go on thats rated at 150N so i'll let you know how it goes...

...Mike..   :thumbup:

Offline steampunkpete

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2015, 06:48:13 PM »
strut power is measured in Newtons,(N)..  ten N = 1Lb

A mass of 1kg exerts a downward force of approximately 10N

Force = mass x acceleration. In this case the acceleration is that due to gravity, i.e. 9,81 m/s^2.

So 1kg mass x 9,81 m/s^2 = 9,81N ~ approximately 10N.

If you equate 1lb to 10N you will be a factor of about 2,2 in error (because there are 2,2lb in a kg)

Strictly a lb is a mass and can't be compared to a Newton, which is a unit of force. The unit of force in the imperial system is the Poundal. The Poundal is the force that will accelerate a mass of 1lb at 1 ft/s^2 (and it's a bitch to work in these fathom, firkin, fortnight units, the SI system is much simpler, and if you don't believe me try working in imperial slugs. The slug was/is an alternative unit of mass to the lb; it equated to approx 32lb because g is 32 ft/s^2. I don't recommend working in imperial slug units as it has been known to make peoples' heads explode).

Now I have mentioned slugs I'm off to find the aspirins.

Offline Colh

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2015, 07:08:09 PM »
Thanks Eric, Mike , Pete

When I dismantled my mill to fit the DRO scales I had the foresight to weigh the head - 27kgs.  I will look for a strut with a power around 27 Newtons. 

Another project to add to the list which is getting longer and longer.

Col
Location - Geelong, Victoria, Aus

Offline Will_D

• National Homebrew Club of Ireland
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2015, 07:20:04 PM »
When I dismantled my mill to fit the DRO scales I had the foresight to weigh the head - 27kgs.  I will look for a strut with a power around 27 Newtons. 
"So 1kg mass x 9,81 m/s^2 = 9,81N ~ approximately 10N."

So you need 270 Newtons :doh:
Engineer and Chemist to the NHC.ie
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/forum/

Offline steampunkpete

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2015, 02:07:22 AM »
So you need 270 Newtons

In the words of a well known Time Lord "Correctamundo". (Yes)  :)

Offline mechman48

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2015, 12:06:41 PM »
I wonder what Isaac would make of all this jocularity.... & leaps in science... probably ROTFLHAO..  :scratch:
George
George.

Always look on the bright side of life, & remember.. KISS..' Keep It Simple Stupid'

Offline stirling lad

• Stirling Scotland
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2015, 04:06:47 PM »

..So my mills head weighs around half an imperial slug......I see what you mean,,,..... where's the aspirin?? :palm:

...m..

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2015, 12:34:36 PM »
I used a round "angel eye" ring.  Sold for customizing car headlights.  Bought 2 for a couple bucks, shipped.  They are 12 volt, so require a separate power supply.  for that I bought a wall wart adapter; one that's 110v in, 12v out.  That was also a couple of bucks shipped.  Both items were purchased on ebay.

The ring is the perfect size to fit around the spindle of the mill.
Creating scrap, one part at a time