Author Topic: Band Saw Repowered For Metal And Woodworking  (Read 5516 times)

Offline velocette

Band Saw Repowered For Metal And Woodworking
« on: October 12, 2015, 07:57:24 PM »
Bandsaw Re Power

My vertical band saw Was a converted woodworking machine with an 18 to 1 worm drive for cutting metal driven by a 1/2 hp motor

Three speed poly vee belt drive with 39   52  66 Metres Per Minute   

A 1 hp motor and 3 speed poly vee belt direct drive gave 650 900 1100  metres per minute.

Becoming fed up having to swap belts for speed changes so time for improvement.

Having bought a  1.5 hp Baldor DC motor from a factory closure sale for peanuts it was a brand new spare.

It gathered dust in my workshop for a while until a project to use it came to being.

Unsure if it would be possible to use it on the bandsaw some research over a period of time found that it was a possible conversion with some sacrifice

of top end speed for better torque at low speed.

Being a DC addict for a number of years gained experience setting up drive controllers to match the motor so it was eventualy game on.

Removed the motors and the gearbox and create enough room for the rather larger Baldor motor.

After trying different size poly vee 6 rib motor pulleys settled on 50 mm for the motor and 162 for the band wheel shaft.

This gave me from 39 metres per minute to 620 metres per minute.

Using a bi-metal blade for cutting mild steel, cast iron, and aluminium it will cope with light woodworking at slower feed rate at full speed

With a 6 teeth per inch woodworking blade it copes with resawing planks 200 mm wide.

While on the bandsaw mods can I pass on some more tips.

Some 30 years ago I built a bandsaw from scratch using "A" section pulleys for the band wheels and "B" section belts for the tyres.

This was passed on to a friend who was doing a lot of woodworking

Top pulley tyre was cut with a scarfed join and glued in place.

Bottom pulley is the drive for the band with the blade running on the back and the driver pulley on a counter shaft located inside the saw blade.

Photos explain better.

Stepped "A" section pulleys give three speeds 453  254  136 metres per minute cutting speed.

Kicking this drive setup around for a while my thoughts are that instead of a "B" section belt that a "Poly Vee Belt" could be used for the drive.

This then means that the band speed is calculated on the circumference of the small driver pulley.

Eric

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: Band Saw Repowered For Metal And Woodworking
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 03:40:53 AM »
 :bow: That's a very cunning way of making a tyred wheel for your earlier band saw - I like it  :thumbup:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Swarfing

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 02:09:45 PM »
Interested to know what glue you used please?
Once in hole stop digging.

Offline velocette

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015, 04:43:07 AM »
Hi
The Glue used was a contact adhesive as far as I can remember after 30 odd years and clamped with a stainless steel band with a screw gizmo to tighten it..